Chapter 9

Chopin, Nocturnes, Op. 9: No. 2 in E-Flat Major

Most of this chapter is a flashback. Starts after the ~

After your conversation with Loki and Wanda, you began to reminisce back to when you first fell in love with Bucky. No matter how many times you were told that he was a soulless monster. No matter the times you almost believed it. Your heart beat faster every time he walked into a room. His touch, his smell, it all set your soul on fire.

The year was 1952 when you were taken. You remember waking up on a cold table in a seemingly empty room but little did you know he was standing in the shadows watching over you.

~

The grim reaper makes her way through the corridor with no particular destination in mind. She was playing the long game with the oblivious HYDRA agents. She pretends to be their weapon, their toy until she gains enough trust before she breaks their necks. That is if you don't go ruining everything since every time you are back in control you send the grim reaper three steps back in her plan with your resistance.

It was certainly lonely, even with a second voice in your head but you knew you weren't the only one who was taken. There was someone else. The Winter Soldier was what they called him. You had yet to meet him, only hearing stories from the guards of how he was misbehaving or how well he completed the mission. It was one or the other. You didn't know what to make of it but Rose did. An ally. She thought. Someone who could help her get out of here.

First, she would have to get him to trust her. That would be the most difficult part as of right now Hydra has kept you apart. Either you'd be on separate missions or he'd be put back into the freezer.

But that soon was going to change.

For days the grim reaper has been planning ways to make her big escape, this time involving the super soldier. For days she planned every step of the way memorizing schedules, exits and anything else that could be useful. "Wakey Wakey." A guard bangs on her cell door before opening it up, Dimitri was his name. What was even the point of knocking if he'd let himself in any way? "Get ready. You have mission." The light brunette guard ordered, his hair sweeping onto the side. He spoke in broken English instead of Russian, as they all did when communicating with her. They all believed that you couldn't understand Russian so they stuck with English. That's what she let them believe at least. But in reality, she could. The grim reaper understood any language after merely hearing it, she could pick it up just like that. You weren't sure if it was because of your power or because of your mental illness but it didn't matter, not when you already know over a dozen languages.

You didn't have many weapons on your person thanks to your powers. But you did keep a few strapped on just in case. The guard yanks the grim reaper by the arm, leading her the way she was supposed to go as if she didn't know already. She wished she could have ripped his head off but that would destroy everything she has been working on for the past few months. You couldn't believe it's only been months since they took you. It felt like years had gone by. All the more reason to escape.

"You will be aiding the Winter Soldier in his mission." The guard pushes her up the jet's incline. The grim reaper steadies herself, not because of the shove but rather of who the winter soldier is. You have heard stories of him before Hydra. Steve Rogers' best friend, Sergeant James Barnes. Howard was fond of him. Telling you the stories of all the shit they put themselves through. How one time they stole a car or how accidentally blew a hole in the side of the building. When Howard told you what happened you couldn't stop the tears from flowing down. To see him here in front of you was strange. Clearly, he was alive but he was lifeless at the same time.