꧁ Prologue: Reds and Rubies ꧂

The lonesome lady who epitomised melancholy made her way across the mirky checkered flooring, and up the few steps to stand beside the catafalque

The grand coffin leaned against the glossy crimson wall, a photo of her mother framed against it.

She was almost speechless to find her eyes dry of tears, but the presence of the heavy ache in her throat explained everything. Fury and frustration chocked out all the grief she used to feel. Such bitter emotions topped with confusion and an insatiable desire for answers to burning questions.

"Why," came out a coarse voice that sounded like stepping on glass and granite. It was almost unrecognisable. She couldn't believe she was producing such a sound."why did you do it, mother? What were you thinking?' She felt a warm tear drop to her feet and she cringed in shame.

Before leaving her deceased mother, she crushed the life out of the cerise rose she'd picked out for her in their gardens that flourished in their realm of eternal night. "I'm sorry I couldn't bring you nightshade. Here's a crushed rose as compensation."

What may have been the fragments of a smile began to form on her face as she caught the poor rose withering.
It had been in the warm depths of her satchel for the past two weeks. That was how long it took her to get here, back to her family castle.

She had travelled from afar, to retrieve a timeless ruby for her beloved father who she loved as much as she hated.
"The dead are only ahead of the living, it's what you said always. I suppose you're ahead of me now."
She let the echoes of her heavy voice fill the room for a few moments, before she made her move and took her leave, looking behind one last time to take in the sight of her mother's grand coffin before she headed out and shut their family crypt's door for another month.

It was the seventh era and the vampires had just lost another war against the snow elves.
So, they moved their people eastwards for the winter, where their castle was. Their fortress.

Usually a place so grand would make her feel somewhat safe, but she couldn't shake this feeling of uneasiness off. Not even her non-vampiric uncle made her feel any better.
He was always beside her, for as long as she could remember. There to protect her, when her parents were too busy engaging in foreign warfare.

He felt like more of a father than her real father had ever felt. Of course, she wouldn't admit such controversial feelings to her father.
In fact, her uncle wasn't the only elder she'd been awfully close with. No, she and her mother once shared a bond so special, even the moon shined brighter around them.

But ever since her father had declared war on the slow elves for the fourth time, she'd changed. A great rift had formed between them, and not only that but she'd become stone cold and distant. Always either deep in thought or sensitive and agitated.

Whatever the cause for such a shift in personality, Miri didn't like her new mother. Since the war, she'd let her uncle Mars look after her. She's been with him ever since. She was with him when she'd received the news...of her mother's passing. Of course, she blamed herself for it. And always wondered if things could have been different if she'd have been there at the time of her late mother's death.