꧁ Chapter Twelve: The Moon ꧂

Oraya's heart was beating against her chest like the beat of an ancient tribal song, as she ran away in disbelief

She attempted to conceal her distress but found that doing so would be useless. She knew that Jacob and Izuri would be able to see right through her.
She had been the only one who had witnessed Xander's capture, and it had shook her to the bone.

These vampires weren't only freaks of nature in her opinion, but they were ruthless in the way that they fought too. Never did she ever think she'd live to see the day where she'd see someone outmatch Xander in hand-to-hand combat.
Yet here that very day was.

She had to rescue him, but at the same time, she knew she couldn't. Not in that moment. She had to remain calm and not let these vampires get the best of her.
With darting eyes, she rose from her hiding place and ran towards Jacob, yelling his name frantically with desperation like a lunatic.

The two of them turbulently collided like the raging sea would smash into a stubborn rock. Oraya's pure panic spread like an infectious mist, that haunted Jacob's mind with possibilities as to what could possibly have been wrong.
She grabbed the sides of his arms and shook him, failing to speak.
Whatever was going on, Jacob didn't like it.
She was scaring him.

"W-what's wrong?" Jacob spat, holding onto her, trying not to let anxiety make him lose his balance and faith.
"They took Xander." She finally managed to verbalise.
At first, Jacob too was lost for words, but then he managed to find her darting eyes in his, and then saw his opportunity to calm her down.
"I-it's fine, he'll be okay," he said. But even he himself didn't believe his own words. He was using language to say anything consoling right now, and Oraya knew it. "Come on – it's Xander." Thankfully, the poor boy managed to force a convincing smile that was somewhat comforting and warm amongst all this chaos.

"You're right," she managed to say. "I'm being paranoid. We should have faith in him." And with that, she tapped him on the shoulder as though to tag him, and ran off into the eternal moonlight, where Izuri stood.

Jacob watched as Izuri struggled to fight three vampires off, and gasped in horror when two of them had grabbed her by her arms and disarmed her.
"No," came his faint and weak voice.
He would not let any of his friends get hurt by these monsters.
Not Xander either. After this, they'd go after him and free him, make sure he's okay. And if he wasn't alright then he'd make each and every one of these species pay the price. He would eradicate their species that were scum.
He knew how much Xander despised them. They took everything away from Xander, and he simply could not allow them to take everything away from him too.

So, in a moment of summoned rage, he hurled a fireball straight at the third vampire. The two vampires that were holding Izuri screamed out in utter fear as their comrade collapsed and burnt to a crisp before their very eyes.
Jacob saw this as the perfect opportunity to approach the enemy and reveal himself as the attacker.
"Back off!" he yelled, as he watched them run for their lives like a pair of frightened children.
Jacob laughed at them, a mocking laugh too.
For a second, he froze in shock.
He was becoming someone he didn't recognise. He was the most sympathetic, compassionate and delicate boy he knew, and now he was laughing at the pain and suffering of others.