꧁ Chapter Ten: Damsel in Distress ꧂

In the Velorak Cathedral, that Vampire King Velorak had just named, King Velorak was growing worrisome

"Where is my daughter, Terrok? I will not ask you again," he demanded to know from his throne as he looked down on his people feasting.
"My lord, I am afraid we haven't heard back from her in a while,"
"Everyone stop at once!" he yelled and the entire cathedral fell silent at their king's furious voice.
"No one can feast until my daughter is found and brought back to me," he announced. "If I catch anyone with human blood on their mouths or around their lips they will be sentenced to immediate execution on the spot."

His people gulped in fear, as many of them stood up and walked away from the dining table.
"Find her, immediately!" he screamed, clearly distressed and not bothering to conceal it. "I have already lost a wife and queen, I cannot bear to lose a daughter and princess too." He said, his eyes wandering away from his right-hand-man and friend Terrok.
"She is my only child," came his melancholy, mellow voice.

Terrok had never heard him speak in such a way before.
"I will find her, my lord," he vowed, before assembling a group of men and leaving their cathedral for the east, where Miri had told them their warren was.

That was where she had to be, Terrok reasoned in his mind.
Surely.
So, he and a group of six other vampires, made their way to the warren in the east.

"Terrok," came the voice of one his men as they walked onwards without stopping. Not even once. Not even for a break.
Terrok worked ever so diligently for his master and king.
They trekked through the thick snow, covering their eyes from the harsh blizzard that plagued their cathedral.
The west was like that. Snowy, oftentimes.
All they had done was move southwards from their original manor, that, by now had been reduced to nothing but rubble.

"Speak your mind, Demetrius," Terrok insisted, not looking behind at the man due to the harsh wind and snow.
"What exactly are we looking for? What kind of infrastructure, what kind of building?"
After managing to walk through a particularly windy part of their journey and over a small lump in the snow, he replied, "Miri said that it's a cottage in the east. But inside, it is like no other cottage. It is a warren. A system of underground tunnels, meandering like rivers."

The rest of his men muttered under their breaths.
Terrok was accompanied by vampires only.
Only vampires were in the Velorak Cathedral, of course, or knew about the cathedral at all.
There were five vampire men and one vampire woman with him.
They accompanied him just in case Terrok got into an altercation of sorts.

Beyond them were nothing but smooth, pearl-white, snowy hills and pointed mountain crests.
It would take them hours to reach the warren, Terrok realised.
They had to find a more efficient way to get there.

"Followers of Velorak," Terrok began, turning around to face his companions. "this is not working. We must find another way to reach Miri."
"Agreed," Demetrius concurred.