꧁ Chapter Eleven: Nothing but War ꧂

Though they didn't know of its existence yet, their objective was to locate the Velorak Cathedral and eliminate as many vampiric life forms as possible

They certainly had all the weapons they needed for the task, along with the bravery, skill and determination to follow their mission by seeing it through to its bloody end.

Xander had told his friends that it was fine, he knew where he was taking them.
But the truth was very much the opposite.
He had no idea as to where he was going.
He didn't know what he was doing.
He was just trying to navigate this conquest to the best of his ability.
But, without knowing the precise – or even rough location of his enemies, it was proving to be particularly difficult.

Still, he did not let Jacob and co see even a flash or a hint of change when it came to his facial expression, body language and overall demeanour.
If anything, he had to reflect positive, optimistic energy onto his allies, onto the Nightkeepers. Even if those projected emotions were fake or a façade.
He was meant to be their leader, he was the oldest of the group.
He was the most skilled in terms of combat, Oraya was next when it came to physical talent in relation to combat.

But that didn't matter.
Oraya was a stranger in this realm, much like he was to her realm.
He had to be the one to protect them, to motivate them to be there for them.
He was their guardian, and was responsible for anything that may happen to them from the moment he dragged them out of the warren.
Kalselwyn didn't know about this.
And he would keep it that way. But only for so long.
Xander intended on calling him through the small audio-devices almost everyone in their realm had. They were communicators.
The best their realm could do in terms of technology.
A laughingstock for Oraya and the people of her realm, however.

They were following Xander for hours now, and Jacob was beginning to grow tired and irked. Something wasn't right.
And Xander couldn't hide it anymore.

"Are we just going to keep heading north from the warren forever, Xander?" he asked, adding a forced laugh at the end of his rhetorical question, though in truth he was purely agitated by their journey that clearly wasn't going anywhere. "How far west are we going to go?"

"Do you even know where we're going, Xander?" Izuri's additional question was only salt on the wound.
But Xander had prepared for this very moment several times in his head.

"Guys, this is a long journey. You have to trust me, have faith in me."
"Your realm is vast, but not as big as mine, it seems." Oraya piped up.
They all stared at her. It was as though she had been in her head the entire time and only decided to speak now, completely detached from the conversation that they were all having.

Jacob wondered what went on her mind, sometimes.
"Well, of course it is. Your realm accommodates five tribes," Jacob responded, after staring at her dumbfounded like everyone else though, of course.
She turned to face Jacob as they continued to walk, a look that was somewhere between disbelief and amusement on her face.
"That's an illogical statement, Jacob. Our realms could have the same population. The only difference is that my people are more divided than yours."
She had made a fair point.