꧁ Chapter Seven: The Twilight or the Sun ꧂

Xander's blind rage had taken him too far, quite literally

He trekked too deep into the meandering sand paths surrounded by warm maple trees that looked like gold and smiled in the same colour as the sun did.

Their beauty was mesmerising and was almost enough to soothe his pain and frustration.
He couldn't wrap his head around why no-one could understand his grudge. It was perfectly justified in his eyes.
Jacob, Kalselwyn and Izuri all thought it was justified too.
He only wanted vengeance, what was so twisted about that?
What was wrong about seeking justice?

That was when he finally came to accept that some people would just never understand. And tragically, Kathena and Oraya were two of those people for him.

Finally, he found a peaceful place, swirling sand with a perfectly circular rock in its centre as though man had purposefully placed it there.
He didn't care, it looked so perfect under the blossom tree whose leaves shed like tears of joy, in a strange sort of bliss.

He sat under the tree and tried to learn forgiveness, but couldn't. It was like a foreign language to him still. So instead, he decided to take his mind off it entirely and focus on new memories.
Happier memories.
Ones that didn't bring him pain or would lead to pain.
Like his master Juchinko and himself laughing over a cup of camomile tea.
Or memories more recent like those of Izuri and himself going on a walk and teasing each other about how bad Xander was with shuriken and how terrible Izuri was with blades.

Just anything to forget he ever had a family he loved.

He didn't even see his attacker coming.
Only a few minutes into enjoying serenity, a man struck from above like lightning, and he fell to the ground, very much electrocuted.

"Who the hell do you think you are?" Xander yelled.
"I should be asking the same question, intruder!" the masked, olive-skinned man yelled. His voice was ashy and sounded like a fleeting shadow failing to embrace the darkness fully.
He appeared to be a ninja, dressed entirely in black and purple, and armed with a katana.
Xander was confused, but beneath that confusion was relit fury.
He just wanted peace for once in his life.

Peace away from conflict and away from his traumatic past, and he wasn't going to let some unnamed ninja stop him from attaining such goals.
"Intruder? Look, I don't know who you are, but you've got some nerve challenging me to a brawl,"
"Speak your last words! You are in the territory of the Twilight Tribe now!"
"I see you guys take your territory very seriously." Xander commented, but the man was already lunging at him. "Calm down!" he yelled to him, but the relentless ninja didn't even try to back off a notch.

He slashed his sword around at Xander, but he effortlessly dodged all of his blows, thanks to his years' experience in combat.
"Who are you and what do you want from me?" Xander tried, still dodging his swinging silver blade.
Still fighting defensively, never yet attacking his opponent.