꧁ Chapter Five: Battle of the Acolytes ꧂

Jacob looks into Krys' eyes with desperation, adamant

"Please," he begged. "you have to do this, Kalselwyn can't leave his post!"
The boy was right as much as he hated that fact.

With a reluctant sigh, he turned to the only friend he had left; General Oris.
"Listen up Oris," he started. "you're coming with me to the Realm of the Dead."
Jacob beamed goofily.
"We get them and leave immediately. No distractions, no getting side-tracked. Understood Commander?"
Oris nodded. "Understood!"

The two men glanced at Kalselwyn who nodded.
"Go. Help us clean this mess."
Kalselwyn and Jacob stepped aside as the two men stepped through the portal, vanishing instantly as though they had never really been there at all.

Now that that was sorted, Kalselwyn turned to Jacob, who still seemed worried for his friends' lives.
"They'll be fine, have faith," Kalselwyn offered.
"I appreciate you saying that but-."
"I said it's fine."
With that, Jacob was silenced.

Kalselwyn turned at his broken laboratory, shattered glass and spilt miscellaneous liquids only Kalselwyn had the intellect and knowledge to name or recognise.
He went over, behind a desk to clean up some of the mess but was startled while doing so.

"Ugh!" Jacob yelled, making his grandfather jump.
His old and frail heart couldn't handle anymore surprises.
"I hate feeling like this! I feel useless!"
Kalselwyn remained silent, and began to clean up the mess with a brush and dustpan in silence like a maid accidentally overhearing an argument that did not concern them.

"You...could try and find the thief yourself," as soon as those words had left Kalselwyn's mouth he regrated saying them.
What stupid idea had he just put into his head?

Jacob gasped happily to his dismay.
"Jacob, on second thought,"
"No, you're right!" he yelled, sitting up eagerly from where he had once been sat. "I'll find the blue-haired thief myself! I won't have to wait on Xander!"

Kalselwyn's head was now under a desk of his, sweeping the dust that sat on the very outskirts of the room, facepalming in secrecy where his grandson couldn't see him.

He supposed he could try, but he had to be honest with himself. He didn't believe in the child.
Still, it wouldn't do any harm.
Realising this, he came to accept it in his head.

"I'm leaving right now, I can't afford to be wasting any more time! Our lives are on the line!" and with that, Jacob took off.

Jacob was lucky they weren't where the Reds and Rubies inn was, because the air around there was heavily toxic. He'd have to mask up if the air was as near as bad as that where the warren was. There, their lives would be on the line in more ways than one.

*

Lord Kyrs and General Oris both collapsed on top of each other in a realm neither of them had ever been to before, lying on the ground like a tangled knot of string.
"You," a deafening voice boomed.
"Oh Gods above," Krys wailed.