꧁ Chapter Eight: King of Hearts ꧂

They all leapt in fear as Zen slammed the twin golden doors shut and furiously locked them

"Grandmaster Zen, what's wrong?" Oraya began.
"Take a seat, all of you," he said, storming off into the other side of the dojo, returning with some camomile tea that he only drank when trying to calm himself.

That cup of tea alone was enough evidence to prove to them, or her at least, that something was not right.
"Which one of you wants to tell me why I found nightshade growing where my primroses should have been?"
They all fell silent at such a question.

Xander knew very well that nightshade was a plant that only grew in the Realm of Darkness. Of course, Zen would see such a strange sight and blame the three of them.

"We didn't,"
"No, boy," Zen spat condescendingly, cutting Jacob off.
Xander frowned heavily, he had had enough of this inconsiderate man. He was nice and sweet at first but now he was just a bitter jerk.
"Listen here, Grandmaster," Xander had spoken the words with such sarcasm that he had brought a new and rude meaning to them. "we don't know what you're talking about-."
"Don't bring your plague to our realm!" Zen boomed, scaring all of them.

The room fell into an uncomfortable silence that was as thick as a wall built with cinderblocks.
"Our realm, my guards have discovered, is dying now." He sighed, collecting himself once more. "I'm sorry. I am just...scared." Oraya was taken aback when she heard how mellow Zen now sounded. "Now tell me which one of you has the greatest affiliation with vampires so I can silence my suspicions."

They were left in another wave of silence before Xander raised his hand like a young student at Zen's academy for Sun Tribe Warriors.

"You,"
"Xander,"
"Xander. Take your visor off."
They were shades, sunglasses, if you will. But Xander didn't bother to correct Zen on something so trivial.

He did as he was told and let Zen's golden irises invade his.
He then sat back in another throne of his, as if the one that sat outside in the open upon the stage wasn't enough for him.

Zen's hand latched onto his forehead as he gazed down, his eyes closed.
It was clear that he was seeing Xander's past and future now.
"No!" he yelled.

Zen looked distressed and rose from his throne, pacing around the dojo frantically like Oraya had never seen before.
"It's true," he whispered, collapsing to the wooden floor of the dojo dramatically, now sat to their right.
"What is?" Jacob asked blankly, as Xander casually slipped his shades back over his dark eyes.

"The vampires of your realm," he began, even though vampires only existed in their realm, the Realm of Darkness. "they have cursed the elves of your realm." He revealed.

"No," Xander whispered.
"It appears that their curse is spreading from the ruler elf, to you, Xander." He said, looking into Xander's eyes from the right. "And now you have brought the curse here,"
"No!" Xander now yelled. "Wait! Are you telling me the vampires cursed our realm?"
"U-unintentionally." Zen revealed. "From what I perceived, one of them performed a dark ritual that involved dark magic, and inevitably brought around the curse of the depleting...." He said.