꧁ Chapter One: Amber Embers ꧂

Lieutenant Bree placed a finger on his earpiece, pausing for a moment while the rest were left in silence

"Mistress Miri, is it?" He asked, Miri stood back, wanting to lie about her identity, but she new she couldn't. She knew that doing so was pointless because who she was was obvious.
That was because she wore her late mother's tiny tiara; a mark of vampiric royalty.
A thin silver crown with three small oval stones on it, one garnet and two amethysts.

Miri gulped deeply, before bracing for whatever this brutal-looking man was about to say. "I've been ordered to take you back to camp with us. On your feet." but instead, she shuddered, just standing there staring into his cold, grey eyes. "Now."

Lieutenant Bree didn't wait for her to obey him, he simply forcefully moved her along with them. "Come on boys, we're leaving. Forget it. The stone clearly isn't here." he said, looking over his shoulder and at his companions; whose chests were heaving.
Miri looked behind too, her mouth falling open as she saw how the entire mansion had been mercilessly ransacked; papers and documents torn, shredded and thrown all over the floor. Wallpaper torn off the wall too - which seemed unnecessary until she remembered the secret passageways her family hid behind walls.
The dust that once covered this place hadn't even been swiped out of existence - just moved. In fact, the floor was filthy.

"Alright, enough inaction! Get out! All of you!" Bree yelled, storming out of the manor himself, his hand grasping tightly onto Miri's wrist.
She didn't even try to resist, as she knew that she would not stand a chance against this bulky soldier.

Once the lot of them had cleared the site, she witnessed Bree smirk eerily before turning around and blowing the entire manor up.
Miri had no choice but to watch it all go up in flames.

"And that, my friends, is what happens to empty nests." Lieutenant Bree let himself smile as he took the sight in, satisfaction brimming from his sick heart. "I've always hated vampires." He remarked, and then appeared to remember who was beside him. "No offence, of course."
"Whatever." Muttered Miri, looking away into the distance.
Still hoping that somehow, somewhere, her uncle Mars would appear from the shadows, ready to rescue her.

"Get moving! All of you!" Bree yelled once more, waving an arm dramatically towards the right.
"If you thought watching that was fun, then you're going to love what comes next." He said, kneeling down slightly to taunt her.

Miri could only imagine what would have came next. She couldn't help her mind wander once she turned around to see that the other men had her mother's coffin in their hands.

*

General Oris almost broke the inn's door off its hinges, much to Hilary's distaste.
His grand entrance most certainly did not make a good first impression on the bartender.
"Hey, what's your deal?" Came her annoyed voice as she stepped from behind her desk and began to walk up to the furious man.

"Have you seen a man walk in here? A puny-looking Human with raven-dark hair?" He asked.
"Oh, please, I've seen tons of men with dark hair walk in here, do you seriously expect me to remember them all?"
Oris growled in frustration at Hilary's reply. "Did you hear him talk about vampires by any chance?"
"Listen, old man, I'm getting tired of your vague questions. It's time you either book in a room, take a seat and order or get the hell out of my inn."