Part 9

She stepped out of the car and observed the area. It was familiar since she had been there many times with her friends to eat and sometimes club.

"Come on." Taeyeon locked the car then walked up to Tiffany. "This way." She led the way.

She followed her into a small quiet street away from the more crowded part of the neighborhood.

They walked on until she caught sight of a small yellow-brick shop that stood out among the other buildings. She raised her eyebrows.

"It's an American ice cream shop" Taeyeon explained as she walked up the steps, towards the door.

"Oh?"

Taeyeon pushed the door open. "Your Voldermort recommended this to me a while back and I still haven't tried it."

Tiffany chuckled and followed Taeyeon inside. She looked around the interior and almost felt at home since it was so American. There were paintings and photographs of an American city on the wall and even a Yoda clock on the counter.

Taeyeon looked at the display. "Wow. Those are weird names and flavors."

The young man behind the counter approached them. "Good afternoon."

"Good afternoon" replied Taeyeon. She was still scrutinizing the flavors.

Tiffany recognized some of the flavor names and smiled, looking at the young man. "San Francisco, huh?" She asked in fluent English.

The man smiled. "Why yes" he replied in the same language. "You're from San Francisco?"

"I was born and raised in L.A but I've been there. This shop reminds me of the ice cream parlors back home."

"I got my inspiration from that city." He smiled. "Totally love it."

She smiled politely then went back to browsing the flavors. She saw Taeyeon frowning. "Have you decided?" She asked.

"Have you?" Taeyeon turned her head.

"I think I'll go with the Honey Lavender." She pointed at one of the flavors.

"Hm..." Taeyeon then looked up, coolly meeting the man's eyes. "Can you recommend me a flavor? Something fresh, please." She asked confidently in English. She wanted to show Tiffany and that man that she was also able to converse in English.

Tiffany was surprised. The intonation was nearly perfect and although there was still a hint of accent in Taeyeon's English, it wasn't really noticeable. Compared to any Korean she had ever met, Taeyeon's English was by far the best.

The man smiled. "How about trying our Raspberry Sherbet?"

"Okay then."

The man started to scoop their orders while they waited patiently near the cash register.

"I didn't know that you speak English that well" she commented.

Taeyeon smiled. "Thanks. My parents practically drilled me since I was young. Still far from fluent though."

"But it's really good."

"Thanks."

"Here you go." The man approached them and handed them their ice creams.

Taeyeon was about to take her wallet out when Tiffany stopped her.

"Don't. My turn." She held Taeyeon's arm for a second then took out her own wallet, placing her cup on the counter.