Arvek 1

"There is nothing more that can be done, your Majesty."

Such a cowardly thing to say. Arvek tightened his already tightly clasped hands together as he waited for his father to answer the man. He hated the calmness with which those words were spoken, the emotionless expression the healer gave the king, as though the death of the queen was nothing more than an old dog passing.

An attitude King Masitof himself did not appreciate.

"I heard your assessment the first time," he said, his tone the cracking of ice on a frozen lake. "But I have chosen to disagree with it enough to ask for someone else's assessment."

"A woman from the Veil villages can hardly be expected to do much in this case," the healer Rasinod said, gesturing to the old woman who had approached the king. "The Veil villages have but basic knowledge of healing and magic, and she can hardly be an exception. It would be better to accept the reality."

Arvek glanced at the woman, particularly as she made no attempt to defend herself. Instead, she seemed more interested in inspecting her very wrinkled hands that clutched the top of her cane rather than participate in the argument between the king and healer.

After Rasinod's initial assessment of the queen's condition, Arvek's father had sent out a notice for another healer to come and try to heal her. He had promised a large reward in return, not wanting to spare any expense in his wife's health.

Miraculously, an old woman who called herself Lia arrived at the palace only a day after the notice went out, despite being from the Veil villages, located on the outskirts of the Harlofelp kingdom. She claimed to have a moderate amount of knowledge in medicine and a bit of magic, and felt confident enough that she could do something for Queen Niara.

"I will accept the reality of her death," Masitof said. "But as she's not dead, I will do what I can to help her. Even if it is from a Veil villager." He waved his hand dismissively at Rasinod.

Rasinod did not immediately obey or even acknowledge the dismissal. He instead stood where he was, staring down at the king with eyes that seemed to look farther than the physical realm. Arvek tightened his jaw, all too familiar with the look, as it was a look Rasinod always gave him when he did something Rasinod did not approve of. It would give him the feeling that when Rasinod gave advice and warning, he was actually giving out a threat.

Masitof, however, ignored the healer and turned his attention to Lia. "Now I am not one to be scammed. Far be it from me to let you sit around and do nothing, or merely pretend that my queen is improving in her health. Your reward will come only after she has recovered, and I will expect some kind of results in a few days, or I shall search for someone else."

She dipped her head respectively. "I would expect no less, sire," she said in a voice with a slight quaver. "Perhaps I could begin now? I am not one for wasting time."

Arvek stood quickly, seeing that Rasinod was still present. "I will take you to her," he said before either his father or Rasinod could speak. He turned and led her out of the room. He could hear the clacking of her cane behind him as she set a determinedly set pace. After they were some distance away from the dining room, Arvek slowed himself so he was level with the woman.

Loose gray hairs slipped out of the hood that covered the rest of her silver head. A pouch was tied to her left wrist, swinging gleefully as they walked. Her dress could not have been a browner color, so very loose on her frame with the exception of the belt that tied around her waist. The hem of the skirt swept the floor, hiding her feet yet possessing the incredible ability to not trip her.

They did not speak, though Arvek's mind ran through many questions he had. All of them seemed rude or ungrateful for her help, despite them being born simply of curiosity. He wanted nothing more than to see his mother healed and well again, but he reluctantly had to agree with the point Rasinod brought up earlier. If he could not do it, what chance did this woman have? What did she think she had over the royal healer that she would travel so far?

"The Veil villages are quite a journey," he finally said, breaking the silence between them. He hesitated, not entirely sure how to word the next part of his thoughts to not seem unhappy with her attempt to help.

She seemed to understand what he was getting at, though. "I confess the reward the king offered seemed big enough I felt I would be a fool not to at least try. I also figured that I have enough experience with simple home remedies that I couldn't do any more harm."

A sinking feeling settled in his stomach. He had hoped she would give a more confident answer than that. She had sounded more confident when telling Masitof she had come to do what she could for the queen. But the way she was speaking made it sound as though she was only taking up a challenge, like a harder puzzle. Not saving the life of a wife, a mother, and the queen.

His thoughts must have darkened his expression, for she nudged him and said, "Come now, I am very serious in my work. I have not come to experiment; I will give your mother the best of my care."

He drew to a stop in front of the queen's chambers, Lia's words having done little to assuage his doubt. "I would certainly hope so," was his response to her before gently opening the door.

His doubt in Lia and his indignation with Rasinod took a step back when he saw his mother, replaced by a sense of despair. Her skin had an ashy tinge, with the exception of flushed, narrow cheeks. Her eyes were almost closed as she fought to look around her. Her dark hair, unkempt during her time in bed, made a knotted halo around her head. Her chest rose between long intervals, sometimes interrupted by a weak cough.

Sitting on the bed by her feet was a young man. He had many of her features, except with a healthier physique; the likeness of his father having passed over him. He straightened a little when he saw Lia and Arvek enter, his eyes flashing with a dare to Arvek.

Were it not for the fact that their mother hated to see her sons fight, and with her so close to death, Arvek would have come up with a verbal retort to Selim's silent declaration to refuse any request he might make. Narrowing his eyes slightly at his younger brother, he otherwise ignored him and approached his mother's shoulder.

Kneeling so he was level her head, he said, "Mother, there is someone new here to see you. She is from the Veil villages, and she says she may be able to help you."

Niara moved her head slightly, her eyelids opening even slighter as she attempted to catch a glimpse of this new person. Selim leaned back, as though it would help him look at the old woman better. His upper lip twitched at the mention of the Veil villages.

Niara took a staggering breath and faint noise could be heard in her throat. But whatever words she was trying to form died before they could reach her lips. Arvek reached out and gripped her thin hand assuringly.

"Selim will remain with you," he told her comfortingly, flashing a look at Selim. Selim did not return the look, but his set jaw told Arvek that he did not mean to leave her alone with Lia. Arvek allowed himself a little more time to hold his mother's hand before getting to his feet and addressing Lia. "Should you have need of anything, call out for a servant and they will see that you get it."

She bobbed her head, already loosening the strings of her pouch and slipping it off her hand. Arvek stepped back from the bed as to not hinder her. As she hobbled up, he felt as though there was something else he should say. However, no words came to him as he opened his mouth, leaving him there looking a bit foolish.

He closed it and shook his head. Anything he had to say, any warnings he might give, felt useless or an attempt to claim he knew better than she.

He made to leave the room, taking one last sweeping glance before closing the door behind him.

That sinking feeling, he realized, had not left his stomach.