Arvek 3

Though she was unsteady on her feet for being ill for such a long time, Niara was nonetheless up and about. A sigh of relief had swept through the castle when it saw the queen going about in her usual manner; making sure that duties had not been neglected in her absence, her sons were still on their best behavior, and the king still received the best advice.

Despite this, Lia insisted that she was not finished until she felt confident that the illness had indeed run its course and that the queen's return of strength and energy was not a temporary condition.

As grateful as he was that Lia had done what she had come to do, there was still something about her that unsettled Arvek. Perhaps it was just that she was from the Veil, he told himself. People from the Veil villages were weird- that much couldn't be denied.

All the same, as she came before the king to receive her reward, he couldn't but help feel that it was a good day. She was finally to return home.

Most occupants of the castle had shown up to see this woman who had done what the royal healer could not do. Rasinod himself was present, skulking and shooting glares at Lia in a spot Arvek was certain he believed was unseen. Niara sat next to her husband, hands neatly folded in her lap and a warm smile at the woman who saved her. Selim leaned against the door frame, ready to leave once the excitement of the moment was over. Arvek sat on the other side of his father, subtly glancing every so often to make sure Rasinod was in his sights.

The king stood, stretching his arms open wide as Lia shuffled to a stop, leaning heavily on her cane. Beaming at her, he said, "No words can express my gratitude for what you have done. I confess that I was worried I would have to accept the worst fate until you provided the opposite."

Lia only dipped her head in acknowledgement of his words.

"Name your price, you shall surely have it," the king said, motioning the treasurer to step forth.

"If it all possible, I would like to ask for something other than gold," Lia said.

The treasurer stopped, giving the king a puzzled glance. Masitof's smile faltered slightly. "I suppose you could perhaps ask for something else," he said hesitantly.

"With all due respect, your Majesty, but gold is of little consequence to me," she said. "I get by well enough without, and I can continue doing so."

Again, weird. It was just weird. However, it did little to ease Arvek. He shifted in his chair, frowning. He specifically remembered her telling him the first day they met that the reward had intrigued her. Why now say she did not want gold?

"Instead, I would ask a favor from you," she said.

"What favor is that?"She took a deep breath. "I would like for you to remove the soldiers from the Veil villages.

A silence fell over the room. Niara's warm smile turned into an expression of shock; Masitof's own look of happiness melted away. Arvek gripped the arm of his chair tightly. The only person who gave any indication of a smile because of her request was Rasinod, who smirked in a weird kind of satisfaction. The silence that initially took hold was brushed away as the spectators began muttering to each other, leaving only an angry buzzing.

"Remove the soldiers?!" the king repeated angrily. The smile was now fully replaced with a look of outrage. "Are you mad?!"

"I assure you I am not," Lia replied. While her voice remained at the same volume as it was before, there was a slight quaver. Anger or fear, Arvek could not determine it. "I know exactly what I ask for."

"You ask for ruin, that is what you ask for!" the king retorted.Lia shook her head. "I ask for relief."

"Relief of what?!" Masitof thundered. "Relief for the very creatures that live in the Veil forest? Relief for those who would seek to conquer those villages? Do you think I just leave the soldiers there for show?"

"However, the old woman remained resolute. "I know why they're there," she said. "But they have outgrown their usefulness. They are not protecting the villages; the Rangers are. And the Rangers are protecting the villages from the soldiers."

Mentioning the Rangers was the wrong move. The king's chest swelled in anger at the very word. He took a few breaths before speaking again. This time, it was in a low, dangerous tone. "I see. It is clear to me now. You are one of them, aren't you? You are a Ranger yourself, hoping to have the soldiers removed so that you can claim those villages for your kind."

Lia stepped back, her eyebrows raised as she realized her mistake. "No, I am not a Ranger," she said quickly. "But the concerns about the soldiers have been brought to you before-"

Masitof wasn't going to listen to any of her excuses. "You would see Harlofelp ruined," he growled. "Ruined, and weakened! I shall tell you your reward: You will be allowed to leave my presence unscathed. Come back again, and I shall have you arrested for treason." Breathing heavily, he dropped himself back into his seat.

She took another step back, mouth opened as though she was debating saying more.

"I suggest you leave now," Masitof said, signaling the guards.

She closed her mouth and tightened her jaw as she saw the guards approach. She turned around before they could reach her and began to see herself out. As she drew level with the door, she turned around for one final remark. "I do not do my work for free. You will still pay for my services." And with that, she was gone.

The king slammed a fist into the arm of his throne. "Remove the soldiers! What madness! What absolute brazenness! To ask for the removal of the soldiers?!" He turned to his wife, his outraged looking for agreement. Niara was more troubled, than angry, however.

A sentiment Arvek shared. "I think until we can be absolutely certain that she has left the city, we should increase our guard," Arvek suggested. "I do not like how she said we will still pay."

Masitof waved it off. "What is an old woman going to do? The worst she can do is return to the Veil and inform the Rangers that their plan went awry. They can do nothing about it." He sneered. "And the only reason they can do nothing about it is because the soldiers are present."

"She did do what Rasinod considered impossible," Arvek reminded him. "She could do something else."

"I would like to see her try," the king retorted. When Arvek made to speak again, he raised his hand. "Enough! I don't want to talk of this anymore, or I shall not sleep tonightt because of this anger. That audacity of her."

Pressing his lips together, Arvek leaned back in his seat. He gave the room a sweeping glance, making eye contact with Selim, who had remained where he was.

Selim seemed unphased by the events.