Arvek 18

Not wanting to spend time in the company of King Tyrovo, or risk the deep scrutiny of Princess Rovyna, Arvek excused himself from the midday meal and instead strolled out and around the garden, pondering the events of the morning.

Before he had gone off to find Selim, he felt he had some control, some say in how the kingdom was run. Especially in regards to matters that would impact his later reign. But now, he was not even consulted in the matter. Arvek wasn't even sure he could say his father was acting in Harlofelp's best interest, either.

Or perhaps he only thought that because of his brief encounter with the civilians of the poorer towns. Perhaps he only thought that because of the rift between him and Masitof, and he had let it blind him to what Harlofelp really needed.

He settled himself on a bench that was farthest from any entrance to the garden. Not particularly hidden, it was sheltered by some of the primly trimmed shrubs nearby, creating a pleasing appearance. It would have been more pleasant had the leaves not been in the middle of turning brown and instead were green and full, and dotted with flowers.

He took a couple of deep, calming breaths, trying to clear his mind and view the negotiations objectively. He sifted through what he remembered of the meeting, all too aware of the fact that a good chunk was missing given his distraction because of Rovyna's observance of him.

Just as he was distracted now. A sound to his right caught his attention. He straightened, waiting for a servant to come out and inform him that he was wanted back in the king's chambers. Had he really been gone that long, though? He could have sworn it was no more than a quarter of an hour.

The person who stepped into sight was indeed a servant of the king, but not one coming to summon him.

It was Rasinod.

Arvek felt his muscles tense, his mind calculating the distance to the exit from the unblocked path. Though there really was no graceful way to leave and not have Rasinod think it was because of him. He could hope that Rasinod would just continue on his way, with only a nod exchanged between them.

That was too much to hope for, apparently.

Rasinod saw him and slowed his already leisurely stroll. He came to a full stop in front of Arvek.

Arvek greeted him with a terse nod.

Rasinod dipped his head lower out of respect. When he rose, he clasped his hands together, the expression on his face giving every intention that he wanted a discussion with the prince.

Before Arvek could divert him, he said, "It is good to see you after your trip."

Arvek gave him another terse nod, this time out of acknowledgement.

"But I heard you had no success in finding your brother?" Rasinod inquired.

"Do you need me to confirm that for you?" Arvek said coolly. "Or perhaps the fact that Selim is still not here will be sufficient enough to answer that question?"

The healer gave him a look of fake apology. "Forgive me, your Highness. I did not know if there were any details I was missing."

"I am sure you received all you need to know," Arvek said, his tone clearing telling Rasinod that the conversation was over.

Rasinod didn't take the hint, however. "It is such a pity," he said. How talented this man was, to drip such fake concern into his words, yet at the same time somehow remain so emotionless. "Trusting the likes of a Veil villager. It will never come to any good."

Arvek did not answer. Not only did he not want to continue the argument, but he also did not want to say anything that would be even slight agreement to Rasinod's statement. The decision to bring on Lia was certainly a desperate one, but it did in the end save the queen's life- something that proved to be beyond Rasinod's ability.

Though it may have costed Selim's.

Not dissuaded by Arvek's silence, Rasinod pushed a little further. "Of course, that leaves you with dealing with the consequences, doesn't it?"

Say. Nothing. Do not give Rasinod the satisfaction, he told himself.

"His Majesty may not think much of Selim's kidnapping, but the citizens take notice," Rasinod said. "Selim was a prince of the people, royalty who abandoned his crown."

That was one way of looking at it. The reality was that Selim just didn't like the responsibility of being a prince.

"His Majesty may not have to deal with the fallout of that decision himself," Rasinod said.

Arvek slowly rose. This was sounding too much like a threat now. "Why are you telling me this?" he demanded to know in a low voice.

Rasinod gave him a look of mock surprise. "Forgive me, your Highness. I thought as someone who did what he thought was right and went to search for the prince, you would understand where I was coming from. Especially as the one who will have to deal with the king's decisions. I meant no offense. I thought we were on similar pages. My sincerest apologies."

Arvek could barely hold back the look of disgust. What was Rasinod playing at, trying to make this a political statement? The fact of the matter was that Selim was just constantly on Masitof's nerves, and so when Masitof got a moment of peace from him, he felt no motivation to go find him and disturb that peace. His father was by no means trying to tell the people anything.

Certainly, the king could be less aggressive in his dismissiveness, and be more attentive, but again, it was not political. And for Rasinod, the healer who had been around them all since they were young, to suggest that it was despite knowing their family dynamics . . . !

Arvek didn't want to stick around and listen to Rasinod's rot anymore.

"I must be going," he told the man stiffly. He stalked past Rasinod, chin in the air and jaw stiff.

"Going where?" Rasinod called.

Arvek didn't stop.

"To negotiations? They resumed a while ago."

Arvek came to a stop and slowly turned to him, giving him an indignant look of confusion.

"They've already finished," Rasinod informed him. "They came to an agreement over the midday meal." He walked down the path to a stunned Arvek. He stopped when he drew level and said, "Forgive me. I forgot congratulations were in order for your upcoming marriage." He then sauntered on, leaving Arvek to process the news.