Arvek 10

He did not know how long he stood there, just that it was long enough for the sky to grow ever darker, hiding the wide, deep graves. Something in the back of his mind forced its way through the horror of discovery and reminded him that he had yet to find his brother. Turning away, almost in a daze, he continued his search.

Panic slowly crept into the empty space, mixing the sight of the graves with his missing brother, and on a smaller scale, giving him the realization that he did not remember his way back to the inn. He took a deep breath, determined not to let the panic control him. He just needed a moment to reconsider things. He stopped at a well lit building, considering his options. Cor's disappearance didn't mean that he was actually dead, Arvek told himself. All it meant was that Cor wasn't with him, and he didn't know where he went. Certainly there was a sense of urgency, being in an unfamiliar place with unknown people, but panicking over that before he could confirm it happened would only hinder him. As for getting lost, he couldn't imagine the town was that large. He could find his way back at some point.

Besides, Kendra seemed keen on keeping them. If she realized they were missing, Arvek was certain she could easily find them again.

The panic receded, unable to find a foothold now that he had reasoned things out.

It was still most likely that Cor had wandered off to explore. At this point, he had either finished with his exploration and was making his way back to the inn, if he wasn't already there, or his attention had been caught by something particularly attractive. 

But what could this town offer that would be attractive?

Magic.

Just as he was about to set off to find the inn, the answer popped into his head. If Cor had found anything associated with magic, he would have stopped to look. He certainly wasn't a student of magic, nor made any claim to want to be, but Cor did enjoy watching it at work. Of course, this information didn't narrow down anything. Cor could still be anywhere.

Seeing the building next to him was some kind of store, he entered, silently hoping that by asking where he could find businesses associated with magic would not be an odd question to ask.

When he stepped in, he found a young couple, sitting by a table with only a single candle on the center. All by the windows were the rest of the candles, attempting to entice customers in. The young man brightened upon seeing Arvek. He leapt up from his chair, gave a great theatrical pose and said, "Ah, a valued customer! Surely in need of our tailoring services?" He gave Arvek's dress a once over.

"No," Arvek said firmly.

The man's smile briefly gave way to a grimace, but it was back in mere seconds. "Then perhaps we could assist you with something else?" He gestured grandly to the woman, who had remained seated, but was smiling warmly all the same. "Perhaps we could persuade you to sample some of my wife's wonderful cloth?" He held up a finger. "Before you knock it, I think it will be up to even your standards."

"I am not here shop, I'm afraid," Arvek answered, keeping his tone firm. "I am here rather to ask if you know of a place that deals with magic."

With a defeated sigh, the man lowered his arms and his smile. "If it is magic things that you are looking for, we would suggest Old One-eye's."

That was not an encouraging name.

The woman nodded. "The other places sell nothing more parlor tricks. Old One-eye actually knows what she's doing."

Arvek shifted his attention to her, not just because she had given more information about "Old One-eye," but because she did not put on the performance the man did. "Could you perhaps tell me where to find her shop?"