Kylin 39

The horse master had selected Favel's horse, Gloryborn, for Selim to take to Fairglade. The horse master's reasoning was that it was good for the blanket appaloosa to get out and have a good long ride instead of spending day in and day out in the pasture. Also, he reasoned that Selim seemed to be a good match.

It was a decision that was hard to argue with even just shortly into the trip.

Gloryborn shared Selim's sentiment in leaving headquarters just to move about. The pair would thunder down the path ahead of Kylin, stopping only to wait for Kylin to catch up. Selim would even direct Gloryborn off the path in order to clear a jump. Whenever Kylin caught up to them, before they took off again, he saw Selim had a grin of wild exhilaration and Gloryborn would toss his head and paw at the ground in hopes of getting Selim to allow him to run again.

Kylin would have been inclined to engage by encouraging Vicious to join in some fashion, but he knew that Selim was not focusing to the forest as a Ranger would. He was not about to give Vicious some freedom and have to then have later reign in her, an excitable prince, and a horse robbed of most opportunity to be out and about. As it was, Vicious fought with him to try and race the other two.

Eventually Selim did settle down to a brisk trot while keeping on the path. When Kylin was sure that the two had gotten it out of their systems, he moved Vicious ahead of them and kept to the front.

Kylin found a good spot for the night. He had expected to have to instruct Selim through the whole process, but it was clear that he had retained some traveling knowledge from Amelia. Kylin primed one of the enchantments on his compass to whistle softly every hour so he could get rest while at the same time not falling into a deep sleep that would prevent him from catching anything. He was not willing to have Selim do a watch shift in the night. He was certain Selim wouldn't run off, but like in the day, Selim did not know what to keep an ear or eye out for, or the protocol for if something did happen.

It left him more tired in the morning, but it was nothing he couldn't bear. When he arrived at the village -as he had no plans of staying the night in Fairglade- he would be able to have a better night's sleep.

They arrived at Fairglade somewhere around midday. Kylin brought Selim to the stable, giving him a tour and showing him where all the equipment was. After the horses were turned loose, Kylin said to him very firmly, "While you are here, Gloryborn is your responsibility. There's no horse master who takes care of the horses, so everyone is responsible for the horse they bring."

Selim nodded. "Makes sense."

Kylin started off to the cabin, expecting to give Selim a tour. He realized he didn't hear Selim following and looked back.

Selim was still at the paddock fence, leaning over it as he was Gloryborn.

"Coming?" Kylin called.

"Yes. Right. Sorry." Selim pulled himself away from the fence and hurried to catch up with Kylin. Before they reached the porch steps, he asked, "So who does Gloryborn actually belong to? A specific Ranger, or is he just a Ranger horse?"

Kylin inhaled deeply. "He used to belong to a Ranger. Favel. He's the one who named him."

"Used to?"

They climbed the steps, Kylin wishing Selim wasn't so curious. "Favel . . . died." He stopped in front of the door, staring at the handle instead of Selim. "He was poisoned by the flower we're trying to find. It bit him."

Selim was silent for a few moments. Kylin didn't know if it was out of respect, or if he just didn't know what to say. When he spoke again, it was in a quiet voice. "So what happens to Gloryborn?"