Arvek 26

Cor continued to not speak about any of his plan for the rest of the ride.
However, at this point, he was not without excuse. They were entering more crowded streets, and considering the involvement of the Myst, discussing the plans in public would not be wise.
Even though Arvek wanted to know what was entailed in this plan of his, he couldn't help but start to consider ways that he could get the sealing ring himself. He even considered ways he could get the current seal off his father's finger long enough to seal the letter, and not have Masitof question it.
Of course, outwardly, he maintained an air of disapproval of Cor's plan. He did not want to encourage this kind of behavior from his brother. It was bad enough that Selim caused the issues he did when he was home; Arvek did not need another brother to follow that path.
It was only temporary, he soothed himself, before returning to his pondering of advancing Cor's plan.
He had only half formed ideas before Cor reached his destination- the west side city hall. He told Cor that he would wait for him outside and Cor left his horse in his care.
Arvek dismounted, securing the horses to a nearby pole while he stretched his legs. He had hoped for some more reflection, but every time he started getting a on roll, he was interrupted by someone who felt that they had to pay their respects to the Crown Prince.
After the fifth or sixth interruption, he glanced around for a spot where he would not be so easily seen, yet he was not out of view of the horses. He found one spot besides the stairs leading up to the city hall, partially hidden from view by a rhododendron bush. Even with its lack of leaves, the bush was big enough to cover him. He settled himself down, back pressed into the corner, and watched the people walk by without any realization that he was there.
Smiling satisfactorily to himself, he continued his train of thought.
His biggest issue, he realized, was retrieving the letter. It was highly possible that his father had burned the letter as it no longer had any use. The scribe who wrote the letter was in Chester, as his father had used one of the lord's scribes. And then there was the matter of the signature.
But he was getting ahead of himself. First, he would have to err on the side of hope. Directly asking his father what happened to the letter would be foolishness, especially when Masitof discovered it missing. But with luck, Masitof had discarded the letter with his old ring seals.
There was also the option of discreetly bringing it up with the servants. They would certainly have seen something. If anyone knew the fate of the letter, besides Masitof, it would be them.
A list of names began to run through his head as he tried to select the best candidate for the inquiry.
His thoughts were rudely interrupted by the sound the city hall door opening and closing rather roughly. He jolted upright, his muscles tensing as he waited to hear Cor's voice asking where he was.
But it was not Cor's voice. It was instead two unfamiliar male voices.
He was about to return to his plan when the subject of their conversation caught his attention.
"-and I realized it was true, isn't it? The king has really not shown much care for the people," one man was saying. His voice was a soft baritone, and he spoke with an accent from the eastern part of the kingdom. "Of course it would make sense that he wouldn't care to search for Prince Selim. It would be convenient for him if he was out of the way. He wouldn't have to listen to any of the concerns the prince brought up."
"You may be right," the second voice agreed slowly. He sounded more like he was from the city. "Perhaps it is more convenient for the king that Selim is out of the way. But I don't see how this has to be as big of an issue as it is. For all we know, the king is keeping his investigations into the matter quiet until the marriage is settled. I've heard it had less to do with the king's opinion of his own people and more to do with keeping peace with the Rangers. There's talk that they are involved somehow."
"Keeping peace with the Rangers indeed! Don't you see that there's no need for that? What threat would the Rangers be to Phrompt? The king could clear the forest in a matter of days," the easterner said. "The only reason he hasn't is because he doesn't care. Which again, is why he has done nothing about his own son. You are a father, are you not? Would you sit back and do nothing about your son who was abducted by the Rangers? I would imagine not! You would be pitching a fit with everyone you could, if you didn't go into that blasted forest to deal with the Rangers yourself!"
The city dweller tried to keep a diplomatic view. "That is true; I would go to great lengths. But interacting with my own family is not a matter of politics. The royal family cannot behave in manner that everyone else can. Have you spoken with the king himself? He may be torn apart about losing his son in such a manner. But he cannot allow himself to show it for the sake of politics- for the sake of the alliance with Phrompt."
The easterner made a growling noise. "He would do much better for his kingdom if the prince favored by the people was shown any kind of care. He may be doing that all for Phrompt, but for the rest of us? He is showing where we stand. We do not matter as much as Phrompt."
The city dweller sighed, and for a while nothing was said. Then, "I do not believe I can convince you of a middle ground. I just hope you do not do anything rash in your righteous anger." Footsteps could be heard descending the stairs.
"It is not me that you should worry about! It is that king who sits on the throne," the easterner called after him. "Harlofelp will be in better hands when he finally leaves."
If the city dweller had heard him, he did not make any acknowledgement. The easterner grumbled some undiscernible things under his breath before taking off himself. Arvek watched the gap where he could see for a chance of catching a glimpse of the man who despised his father so, but the man went in the other direction, denying Arvek a look.
All thoughts about the plan were now gone, having scattered like a spooked flock of birds. What was left in their place was sinking shock of the conversation.
It shouldn't be so shocking. There was never a king who was fully favored by his people. And he had heard of the talk that Selim was becoming some kind of prince of the people, however that rumor started. But it was the manner in which the man said them that threw him. The absolute vitriol.
The reminder of what Lir told the king: "It's probably because you're not as popular as you would like to think as a king. Maybe someone thought they could get you off the throne this way."
Even if Masitof's popularity sank because of the whole Selim situation, it was absurd to think that someone would plot to get him off the throne because of it.
At least, it used to be absurd. But perhaps Lir had a point.
Perhaps the solution to the situation was to bring back Selim as soon as possible. For everyone's sake, including his father's.
He heard Cor finally leave the city hall and descend the steps. Cor called his name questioningly, confused as why Arvek wasn't near the horses.
Arvek sighed heavily, and stepped out of his hiding spot.