Arvek 52

Arvek hurried after Cor to the throne room, leaving is mother with Selim. When they drew close, Arvek slowed himself to a more dignified pace.

The Rangers had arrived so fast. He hadn't thought the letter had reached them yet. But if they were so prompt, that must be a good thing, right? Surely they wouldn't be so expedient if they would not help.

He took a deep breath, praying it would go well, and stepped into the throne room.

Masitof and Rovyna stood by the thrones. Almost all of the advisors were present, and Veran stood near the back, arms crossed as he leaned against the wall near the doors. In the middle of the room were the Rangers.

There were five of them. All of them wearing the cloaks he had seen during his time there in the Veil.

The first Ranger he really took notice of was the only Ranger he knew- Morganne.

Seeing her was a relief. She was a healer. The head healer, if he remembered correctly. They had come with the expectation of doing something for Selim.

The other were wholly unfamiliar. Standing to the front next to Morganne was a woman shorter than any of her companions. Her head was covered with a wrap separate from her cloak's hood, leaving only her face exposed. Her skin was dark enough that Arvek suspected she descended from Rotheyan bloodlines. Next to her was a man who absolutely towered over her. He looked a little out of place with his companions in that he appeard more well kempt and carried himself with a certain grace Arvek only saw among nobles. He kept his hair long, but his beard trimmed and groomed.

Behind these three were the remaining two Rangers. One, like the Rangers in front, had his hood down. He had sandy blond hair tied in several braids to keep it out of his face and a scraggly beard. The one next to him had his hood and mask up, leaving his only distinguishable feature to be his height, which, like the man in front of him, was significant.

Arvek stepped over to his wife. Rovyna greeted him with a quick nod before turning her attention back to the new arrivals.

When all was settled and quiet, now that Arvek had appeared, the man in front stepped forward and spoke, giving a deep respectful bow.

"Greeting, Your Majesty, and Your Highnesses. I am Ofjaet, Diplomat of the Rangers of the Veil. This is Taileia" -he gestured to the short woman next to him- "right hand of our captain, Rei."

Taileia gave a dip of her head. Deep enough to be respectful, but shallow enough to indicate she considered them equals.

"And this is Morganne, our Senior Master of Healing and Junior Master of Potions."

Unlike the sarcastic dip she had given Arvek in the Veil, she swept into an actual curtsy.

"And with us, two of our regulars. Kylin and Preman."

While the ones in front had seemingly showed no issue with displaying proper respect, the same could not be said for these two. The one with the braids bent stiffly at the waist, snapping back up quickly though he wasn't meant to bend that way. The hooded one barely tilted, and for a brief moment, Arvek thought he saw his eyes flash over to him.

Ofjaet did not seem perturbed by the lack of respect from the regulars.

He continued, "We have come to offer our services in aiding your son, Prince Selim."

Arvek glanced over at his father. Masitof was visibly chewing the inside of his lip. Arvek realized that despite agreeing to let them come, he had second thoughts on actually letting them help. Selim's plight wasn't enough to sway him, especially if Rasinod said he had things handled. But after they had come this far, after they so quickly offered, Arvek could not just let them walk away without doing anything.