Part VIII. Katherine's day.

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 11, 2022. 7:55AM.

We apparently all agreed to go to our different work places today without even speaking to each other because one by one we all got ready then left just a few minutes from each other. I pull out of Kendalls driveway just as she's coming out of the house and locking the door behind her. I zone out for most of the drive to work which is obviously a bad thing to do while driving, but it was something I couldn't keep from happening.

Right as I walk in the doors of work I'm greeted by one of the investigators who came when we called about Lynx. She was leaving work after being here all night working on the case. As she passes me she flashes a small sympathy smile at me then goes out the door. I take a deep breath before going through the doors that lead to the office area where all the computers and files are kept. I open the door and as I walk to my desk I feel people staring at me, but I really feel too numb at this point to care too much. I sit at my desk and in a matter of seconds my boss is standing next me and says "You don't have to work this week. I understand that what you're going through must be very hard so please just take the week off to take care of yourself." I refuse and say that I'm okay enough to do my job which happens to be a lie, but he doesn't need to know that. He just nods and walks away to go do who knows what. I never cared for my boss much, but he can be nice at times he just seems like a bit of an idiot sometimes like he doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing.

Time passes by extremely slow and I try to get more work done on that break in case, but I can't get my mind to focus on anything other than the sight we saw of Lynx last night. I sit at my desk staring blankly at the screen when a co-worker notices my blank stare and walks over. He says "If you could send me the links to the files for this case I could help you out with it. You really should just go home for the day." I look up at him and nod my head finally accepting that I'm not well enough to be working today. I send him the links to all the files he needs for the case and leave the building without saying a word to anyone else.