Chapter 11

I quickly turn around from the Ferris Wheel. "What are you doing?" Six whispers. "I-I..." I feel like lying, but maybe she can help. I don't think she'll bother to tell the rest of the team. "I was going to climb. So I can get a better view and see where the other teams flag is." I respond confidently. She frowns for a moment, then shrugs. "Alright. Seems like a better plan than what they came up with." For some reason, I suddenly smile, satisfied with her response.

"But I'm coming with you" Six adds. "You don't have to do that." I whisper. "I'll do what I want, I'm your instructor." She says, sounding almost as if she were telling herself that. "Oh- ok" I say, turning back around and grabbing the bars of the Ferris wheel. I slowly climb up, stopping to look back at Six. She starts getting on and begins climbing behind me. "Why aren't you with the rest of the team" I try to make conversation to distract me from my fear. "They're all fighting over some stupid strategies. I noticed you ever here so I came over, making sure you weren't going to jump or something" She chuckles before adding "it's happened" I look down picturing their bodies laying on the ground, their limbs at all different angles. My eyes widen in fear, and I shut them, stopping for a second on the bars. "Hey you alright? I was kidding" I can just feel her smirk, judging me for being afraid. After a few seconds of silence, she says "Toby. Look, it's ok if you're scared." My eyes open and I look back at her. "Everyone has fears, and we can't get rid of them. Dauntless' goal is to tame those fears, let us be able to act against fear."

I take a few long breaths, then continue climbing up. "Do you have a fear of heights, Tobias?" She asks. The name sends chills down my spine. Obviously she isn't the first to call me it, but I can just imagine my father, standing in front of the door, pulling out his belt loop by loop. When she says it, however, it's different. Like that name doesn't have to be all bad, I can still connect that name with good memories. "Y-yes" I answer, feeling honesty is the best in this case.

"Then why would you climb the Ferris wheel? Why not have someone else do it for-" Six is interrupted when something snaps. I look back and see the bar under her right foot broke off. She dangles dangerously to that side, and suddenly I realize how windy it actually is. "Six!" I yell. Her knuckles turn white as she struggles to pull herself back the side. I feel as if I should help, but I'm not sure how. I let go of the bar with my right hand and bring it down to her, hoping it can be of some use. She grabs my hand to steady herself, pulling her leg to the next available bar. She takes a few minutes to catch her breath. "Are you alright?" I ask. She nods, shutting her eyes. "Yeah, I'm fine. I expected that to happen. Just, be careful." She says in a soft voice.

I continue to climb, slower and closer to the bars, my hands holding on as tight as possible. "Have you ever done this before?" I ask. "Not in all my years at Dauntless have I climbed this Ferris wheel. I don't believe anyone else has either. Not in a while, at least." She answers. I nod, seeing the first platform. "We made it" I climb on, sitting and clinging to a railing. "Finally!" Six stands and looks around. "Shit" she mutters. "what?" I ask trying to look around from my spot on the floor. "There's still trees blocking. I can't really see anything."

"So..." I ask not wanting to know the answer. "We climb higher." She says smiling. "But how? The ladder ended." I say. "That!" She points to some bars that hold up the Ferris wheel. They're very far apart and at different angles, only a few actually horizontal. "I-I don't know if I-" I start. "Come on! We already made it so far! Let's go!" She says, as if almost falling affected her in no way whatsoever. "Alright" I say. I don't know why I'm agreeing to this, but I feel saying no will let her down. "Great!" She grabs the bars, and starts climbing. This kind of climbing must give her adrenaline, because she's extra cheery and full of energy. I chuckle to myself before I try climbing. "I see them!" She says from not too far up. I climb up, hovering over her to see. Right there in a small clear part of the trees, is the other team. I can't see them very well, but it looks like they're all sitting. "Look" Six points to a small glow coming from one of the trees. "Their flag" I whisper. She nods, and only then do I realize how close we are. Her hair brushes against my face slightly. "Now we go back down." She says. I look down. Everything is spinning and I suddenly feel nauseous. "Don't worry, we'll be fine" she assures. I start to climb down. Then, causing my heart to sink, I hear another snap.