Chapter 10

I run towards the door, but something blocks it. My father. He swings at me. I keep backing up, until I run into the table. "This is for your own good" He says, raising his hand to hit me.

"Everyone up!" A voice says. It isn't my father's, nor any of my neighbors. I feel something shake my shoulder. "Come on, move it!" The voice calls again. My father hits me, and I fall onto the table. "Toby! Toby get up!" I struggle to get up.

"Toby! Get up! Hurry, or you'll miss the train!" I open my eyes and see Christina hovering over me. Six stands by the door, guiding people out and down the hall. "What's going on?" I ask. "We don't know, just hurry!" She says walking to the door. I get up and grab my sneakers, quickly slipping them on. I'm the last one in the room. "Hurry up Stiff!" Six yells. I get up and start walking towards the door. "Forgetting something?" She asks. I feel a breeze and look down at my bare stomach. "Right" I say embarrassed. I put on my shirt in one swift movement and walk out of the room. "We're going to be late" Six mumbles, jogging down the hall. I run to catch up. "Why did you wait for me then?" I ask. She hesitates. "Such a curious stiff. No wonder you left" She sighs. "You didn't answer my question." I say. "I don't have to" She says, quickening her pace. I sprint beside her. We run down the halls and outside to the train tracks.

"Alright listen up!" Eric shouts, holding a gun in his hand. "What, is he going to shoot us and see who gets back up?" Christina whispers. We all try to cover our laughter. "Is something the matter, Christina?" He asks pointing the gun at her. She gulps and shakes her head nervously. "That's what I thought" He smirks, walking over to Six and wrapping his arm around her. In one swift movement, she grabs his arm, bending it behind him. "Don't ever touch me again or I swear..." She lets him go, pushing him slightly as she does. Everyone laughs, and Eric glares. "Shut up! Now, tonight we'll be playing a little game"

A tan boy with a snake tattoo curled around his ear walks up to Christina. "My brother told me about this, Capture the Flag. Eric and Six will pick teams, and we use paint guns to shoot each other. So don't feel intimidated by Eric right now." He smirks.

In the distance, the train lights come into view, wavering slightly. "Everyone grab a gun and some paintballs! I'll explain further once we're on the train!" Eric announces, sounding actually sophisticated for once. I wonder if he was Dauntless born. If Six is Candor like I thought, it could be possible that he was too. However, he doesn't seem very honest. Maybe he was Erudite.

I grab a gun and ammo, then hop onto the train without any hesitation, landing perfectly. I mentally praise myself, then sit beside Christina.

"Alright, we're going to be playing a fun game of Capture the Flag" Eric smiles mischievously. "Six and I will be your team captains." He announces. "You can pick first" Six says calmly. "Ah, but that wouldn't be fair" Eric says. "Fine" Six sighs looking around. "I'll have the stiff" She says smoothly, leaning against the side of the train. I feel my face heat up. Is this a joke? Is she trying to make fun of me? "You picked the Stiff?" Eric chuckles. "What, so you'd have someone to blame when I beat you?" He asks. "Something like that" Six says, smirking.

They continue to pick people until everyone has been picked.

Our team jumps off the train first, getting into a circle to discuss where to hide the flag. "I say we go near the carousel. That's where they hid it last year, right Six?" The snake-tattoo boy asks, smirking. Being from Abnegation, I can't exactly tell people's emotions well, but he seems like he's flirting, standing very close to her. "Yes" She nods. "But we should focus more on guarding the flag than hiding it" Someone adds. "No, our focus should be on defense. Finding their flag before they find ours." Another persons interrupts. Six backs a few steps away, giving them space to argue. She obviously doesn't want to get involved with the nonsense. I don't either.

I look around. That last person was right, we should find their flag. But they could be anywhere, so we'll have to somehow see everything in order to find them. The trees aren't nearly high enough but-

The Ferris Wheel. It's high enough to see, but too high for me to climb. With my weak body and fear of heights, I could never do it. But they won't listen to me, so I'll have to do something. I look back at Six, who is inspecting her fingernails thoroughly. She isn't looking, so I sneak through the shadows to the ladder of the giant ride. I can't do this, I can't do this. But I only have to go a little ways. Just high enough to see them.

I grab the first handle, before hearing a footstep behind me.

"Toby?"