Chapter Three - The Mark of Nimueh

Ember walks with Arthur to Gaius' chambers after being asked to get the Physician by Uther "Merlin!" Arthur shouts as they reach the corridor outside Gaius' chambers

Ember walks with Arthur to Gaius' chambers after being asked to get the Physician by Uther "Merlin!" Arthur shouts as they reach the corridor outside Gaius' chambers. Merlin opens door before either Ember or Arthur can knock or walk in "Erm... I'm on my way. Sorry I'm late." he tells the Prince. "Don't worry. I'm getting used to it." Arthur says, frowning as he sees a purple flower in Merlin's scarf. Merlin looks down at it "Oh, er... Gwen, she gave it to me." he explains, Ember smiling. "Tell Gaius my father wants to see him now." Arthur tells Merlin. "Okay." Merlin nods, closing the door as Arthur leaves with Ember. "You know you could always admit that he's your friend." Ember tells Arthur. "Who?...Merlin?!" Arthur asks. "Mhm." Ember smiles. "Merlin is not my friend." Arthur retorts. Ember shakes her head with a smile "Okay, whatever you say, Arthur." she tells him, linking her arm in his as they walk to the Council Chambers.

Arthur keeps Ember at a slight distance as Gaius examines a body of court member who is covered in blue veins, his eyes milky "What's happened to him?" Uther asks. "I don't know, Sire. It's the second case I've seen today." Gaius responds. "Why didn't you report it to me?" Uther questions. "I was attempting to find the cause." Gaius explains. "What did you conclude?" the King asks, Ember keeping hold of Arthur's arm the whole time. "I don't think it's time to hurry to conclusions. The scientific process is a long one." Gaius tries. "What are you concealing from me?" Uther asks. "Sire, I have seen nothing like it. The victims are dying in 24 hours, and it's spreading fast." Gaius explains. "What is the cause?" Uther asks the Physician. "I think you should say that the cause, the most likely cause, is sorcery." Gaius concedes. Uther pulls Arthur aside, making sure to keep Ember with them "We must find who did this." he tells his son. "I will, Father." Arthur nods. "Conduct door to door searches. Increase your presence in the town. Double the guards on all the gates. And lend the physician your servant." Uther tells him. "Merlin? But..." Arthur starts. "We need Gaius to find a cure. He needs all the help we can give him. If Gaius is right, believe me, this city will be wiped out. This is the kind of magic that undermines our authority, challenges all we've done. If we cannot control this plague, people will turn to magic for a cure. We have to find this sorcerer, and quickly. Make sure to keep Ember with you when you're not searching." Uther cuts him off. "Yes, Father." Arthur nods.

" Arthur nods