Chapter Eight - The Beginning of the End

Ember smiles as she, Morgana, Callie and Gwen talk in her chambers, Merlin suddenly bursting in with a boy "Have you forgotten how to knock, Merlin?!" Morgana asks

Ember smiles as she, Morgana, Callie and Gwen talk in her chambers, Merlin suddenly bursting in with a boy "Have you forgotten how to knock, Merlin?!" Morgana asks. "The guards are after him. I didn't know what to do." Merlin explains. "My Lady? My Lady?" a guard asks, knocking on the door. "In there." Ember tells him, motioning to her changing screen. Merlin nods and takes the boy behind the screen, pulling the curtain across. Ember walks to the door and opens it "I'm sorry to disturb you, My Lady. We're searching for a young Druid boy. We believe he came this way." the guard explains. "I haven't seen anyone. It's just me, Lady Morgana and our maids." Ember smiles. "Best keep the door locked till we find him." the guard tells her. "Of course. Thank you." Ember smiles, shutting the door before running to check on Merlin and the boy. Finding the boy collapsed in Merlin's arms, Merlin's hand covered in the boy's blood.

Ember, Morgana and Merlin watch from the window as Uther orders the execution of the boy's father "People of Camelot, the man before you is guilty of using enchantments and magic. Under our law, the sentence for this crime is death. We're still searching for his accomplice. Anyone found harbouring the boy is guilty of conspiracy, and will be executed as a traitor. Let this serve as a warning to your people." Uther says. "You have let your fear of magic turn to hate. I pity you." the man tells Uther. "I can't watch this." Ember says, leaving the window and going over to the boy. Ember sits down and cradles the boy, letting him curl into her side. As the boy's father is executed, Ember's mirror breaks. Ember realises it was the boy's magic, making her gently brush his hair back to try and soothe him slightly.

Later that day Ember lets Merlin into her chamber "How is he?" Merlin asks. "He's sleeping. He's very pale. I worry he may have lost a lot of blood." Ember explains, leading him over to the sleeping boy. "Has he said anything at all?" Merlin asks. "Nothing. He won't even tell me his name." Ember responds. "You know, er, for a moment there earlier, I- I thought you were going to hand us over to the guards." Merlin tells her. "I'm glad you have so much faith in me, Merlin." Ember teases. "No, no, sorry. Erm, I meant, you're the King's ward. You're taking a huge risk helping the boy." Merlin backtracks. "I know, I was teasing you Merlin. I wouldn't see an innocent child executed. What harm has he ever done anyone?" Ember tells him. "Uther believes he has magic, and that makes him guilty." Merlin responds. "Uther's wrong." Morgana says, walking over. "You believe that?" Merlin asks. "What if magic isn't something you choose? What if it chooses you? Why are you looking at me like that?" Morgana asks them. "Nothing." Merlin responds. "Why are you helping him?" Morgana asks Merlin. "It was a spur of the moment decision. What do you think we should do with him? He can't stay here." Merlin says. "We have to find a way to get him back to his people." Ember tells them.

" Ember tells them