Chapter Fifteen - The Once and Future Queen

Ember smiles as she and Edmund have dinner with Arthur and Uther, Edmund happily sat on Uther's lap "We've received reports that a beast has been sighted roaming the forest near the northern borders

Ember smiles as she and Edmund have dinner with Arthur and Uther, Edmund happily sat on Uther's lap "We've received reports that a beast has been sighted roaming the forest near the northern borders." Arthur tells them. "What's the nature of this beast?" Uther asks. "It is said to have the body of a lion, the wings of an eagle, and the...face of a bear..." Arthur responds, Merlin nearly knocking over Uther's goblet as he refills it. Ember looks up to see Merlin struggling on to laugh "I believe it has been conjured by sorcery." Arthur tells Uther. "Then we must destroy it." Uther tells him, smiling as Edmund steals food from his plate. "I'll leave for the northern borders in the morning." Arthur nods. "But you'll miss the tournament." Uther says. "As much as I want to compete, my duty to Camelot comes first." Arthur tells him. "You are right, of course." Uther nods. "I'm sure Edmund will tell you all about the tournament when you return." Ember smiles. Edmund smiles "I will, Uncle Arthur." he nods. "Thank you, Edmund." Arthur smiles at his nephew.

The next day, Ember stands in the Council Chambers as a man from Odin's land tells them about an assassin after Arthur "I was there in person

The next day, Ember stands in the Council Chambers as a man from Odin's land tells them about an assassin after Arthur "I was there in person. Odin has put a price on Prince Arthur's head." Kelda tells them. "Surely he wouldn't dare." Uther says. "He's blinded by grief, My Lord. The assassin Myror has accepted the bounty." Kelda explains. "I've heard of this Myror." Uther nods. "I believe he's heading for Camelot as we speak. I bring you this information at great risk to myself." Kelda tells him. Uther has Kelda payed, turning to Leon "Double the guards. I want this assassin intercepted before he reaches Camelot." he tells him. Leon nods, going to alert the guards "I'm sure we will catch him, Father." Ember tells Uther. "I hope you're right." Uther smiles, putting a gentle hand on her arm.

Ember stands next to Uther as her talks to the contestants of the tournament  "Knights of the realm, welcome to Camelot

Ember stands next to Uther as her talks to the contestants of the tournament "Knights of the realm, welcome to Camelot. You've trained for this day for many years. This day will show your bravery, strength and your skill to the test. Today you will fight for glory and for honour. For this is the ultimate test of courage. And it will be the measure of you as men. For only the most skillful, the most fearless among you will emerge as a worthy champion." he tells them, the tournament beginning. Edmund excitedly sits on Uther's lap as they watch the first contestants, the four year old clapping excitedly at the winner. Ember smiles at her son, watching as the four year old pays close attention to everything happening.

The next evening, Ember joins Uther, Leon, Gaius and Merlin to inspect the body of a guard that has been killed  "Can you determine a cause of death?" Uther asks

The next evening, Ember joins Uther, Leon, Gaius and Merlin to inspect the body of a guard that has been killed "Can you determine a cause of death?" Uther asks. "His neck's been broken. There's scarcely a mark on the flesh. Whoever killed him knew exactly what he was doing." Gaius responds. "Earlier this evening, an intruder was spotted in the lower town." Leon tells them. "Then I fear it's true, Odin has sent an assassin to kill Arthur." Uther says. "An assassin?" Merlin asks. "Have you any word from Arthur since he left for the northern borders?" Ember asks in anxiety. "No. None." Merlin responds. "With this assassin in Camelot, we must be thankful Arthur isn't here. Search the entire town. I want the assassin found before Arthur returns." Uther says, walking off. Merlin motions for Ember to follow him, Ember nodding and doing so. The two of them stop in an empty corridor "Arthur is hiding at Gwen's, he's competing as William. He wants to win as William to make sure no one lets him win, that he wins of his own volition." Merlin tells her. "He's a complete idiot! Come on, we need to warn him" she tells Merlin, the two of them rushing to Gwen's.

The two of them barge into Gwen's house "Arthur, there's an assassin's in Camelot. He's here to kill you." Merlin tells him. "What?! Ember?" Arthur asks, looking at her. "Odin sent him, because of what happened. He's already killed a guard." Ember tells him. "Why would Odin want you dead?" Gwen asks. "Because I killed his son. Odin's son challenged me to a fight. I had no quarrel with him. I asked him to withdraw. Perhaps he felt he had to prove himself. I can still see his face. He looked so scared." Arthur explains. "You cannot blame yourself." Gwen tells him. "No one but us knows where you are. If the assassin can't find you, he can't kill you." Merlin tells Arthur. "May I continue to stay here?" Arthur asks Gwen. "Of course, for as long as you need." she responds. "Thank you. I'll sleep on the floor tonight." he tells her. "No, have my bed. You need to be well rested for the tournament tomorrow." Gwen denies. "I'll not hear of it. Goodnight, Guinevere." Arthur tells her. "Goodnight." Gwen smiles. Ember follows Merlin and Arthur to the side "Fetch the mattress from my quarters and bring it up here." Arthur tells Merlin. "How am I supposed to carry a mattress on my own?" Merlin asks. "I don't know, strap it to your back." Arthur tells him. Ember rolls her eyes "Merlin, just use your magic." she whispers. Merlin nods, creating a bed with his magic "Huh, useful." Arthur remarks.

Ember sits next to Uther, watching the final day of the tournament

Ember sits next to Uther, watching the final day of the tournament. Arthur gets hit, Ember flinching and beginning to play with her dress in anxiety. Arthur soon comes back for the second round, hitting the other knight off of his horse. Ember smiles, clapping happily. Edmund grins, bouncing up and down slightly as he claps. William soon comes out on the horse, Ember happy that Arthur has let the man take the credit and prize.

Later that day, Ember stands in the court as Arthur talks to Uther with a bandage sling over his bloody armour "The assassin attacked us as we returned to Camelot. I was injured whilst killing him." he tells him. "Odin must be made to pay for his actions. We must strike back at him." Uther decides. "Surely you understand the grief he feels for the loss of his son? We should try to make peace with him. There's been enough bloodshed." Arthur tells him, Ember smiling. "Perhaps you're right. How was the rest of your trip? Fruitful?" Uther asks. "Very. I learned a great deal. How was the tournament?" Arthur responds, looking at Gwen slightly. "Excellent. We have a new champion, Sir William of Daira." Uther smiles. "I'm sorry I missed all the excitement." Arthur tells him. "I'm sure Edmund will fill you in." Ember says, smiling slightly.