Chapter Eleven - The Labyrinth of Gedref

Ember sits in Arthur's room, playing with Edmund as Arthur talks to Merlin "My horse threw a shoe

Ember sits in Arthur's room, playing with Edmund as Arthur talks to Merlin "My horse threw a shoe. Take it to the blacksmith. Make sure he does a good job. And when you've done that, you can polish my saddle. Merlin? Have you listened to a word I've said?" Arthur asks, turning to see Merlin looking out the window. Merlin nods in response "You've got a face like a wounded bear ever since we got back from that hunting trip. Don't tell me you're still upset about the unicorn." Arthur tells him. "I don't think you should have killed it." Merlin responds. "Neither do I." Ember pipes up, smiling as Edmund runs over to Merlin with his toy horse. "Oh, really? And why is that?" Arthur asks. "It was... It was doing no harm. What purpose did you serve by killing it?" Merlin asks, giving Edmund a smile. "We were hunting. That's what you do. Would you have me bring it home as a pet?" Arthur asks. Ember shrugs "Sounds like a plan." she smiles, Arthur giving her a playful glare. "Look at this." Arthur tells Merlin. "What?" Merlin asks, walking over. "Do you know what that is?" Arthur asks him. "No." Merlin responds. "Rat droppings. My chambers are infested. You need to spend less time worrying about unicorns and more time worrying about rats." Arthur tells him. There's a knock on the door making the three adults look up "Enter!" Arthur calls. A guard enters "My Lord, the King requests your service as a matter of urgency." he tells Arthur. "Find that rat." Arthur tells Merlin, ruffling Edmund's hair as he leaves.

Ember bites her lip with anxiety as they look at the bucket of sand that has come from the well "Sand

Ember bites her lip with anxiety as they look at the bucket of sand that has come from the well "Sand. And you say the well is full of it?" Uther asks, sifting his fingers through the sand. "I sent men down to the underground reservoir. There is no trace of water to be found." Arthur responds. "First the crops, and now this." Uther says, shaking his head. "It's the same throughout the kingdom. There's precious little water anywhere." Arthur tells him. "Gaius. Can you offer any explanation for this?" Uther asks. "I cannot think of a scientific explanation. I can only conclude it's the result of sorcery." Gaius responds. "I believe you're right. It is the work of magic. The kingdom is under attack." Uther says, walking off. Arthur and Ember look at each other with worry on their faces, both of them smiling when they hear Edmund giggling. Looking over, they see Edmund stroking a horse as Leon holds him "He's already got everyone wrapped round his finger." Arthur chuckles. "Of course he does, he's adorable." Ember smiles. "You think Merlin's had any luck with the water situation?" Arthur asks. "Maybe. If anyone can help work out what's happening, it's him." Ember responds.