Chapter Fourteen - The Curse of Cornelius Sigan

(Edmund is now Four)

Ember follows Arthur and Uther into the mine, the workers having found a tomb

Ember follows Arthur and Uther into the mine, the workers having found a tomb. As they walk in, a plate rolls to Uther's feet. Merlin rushes after it, picking it up "Idiot." Uther says, walking over to the tomb. Arthur looks at Merlin "Were you born clumsy or do you work at it?" he asks. "It's just one of my many gifts." Merlin responds, Ember smiling in amusement. "Well this is quite a find. You see, Gaius, I was right. There is treasure to be found under Camelot. Which of my predecessors do I have to thank for all this? Gaius?" Uther asks, looking round the tomb. "Uh, I'd have to look into it, Sire." Gaius tells him. Uther looks at the dead body on the floor "How did he die?" he asks. "He seems to have unwittingly triggered a trap here." Gaius explains, motioning to the floor. "To deter grave robbers." Arthur nods. "Well there's plenty in here people would want to steal. Have them secure the tomb. Guarding it is your responsibility, Arthur." Uther tells his son. "Yes, Father." Arthur nods.

Smiling, Ember watches as Edmund fights Arthur with a wooden sword. Arthur playfully falls to the floor, letting his nephew jump on him "I've been defeated!" Arthur declares, Edmund giggling. "Mama, I beat Uncle Arthur!" Edmund grins, running over to her. "I saw!" Ember smiles, crouching down to her son's level. Arthur walks over "I do believe we have a cute Knight of Camelot here, Ember." he smiles. Edmund smiles at him "As do I, Arthur." Ember nods. "Does that mean I get a red cloak?" he asks. "I'm sure we can get you one." Arthur tells him, picking him up. Edmund giggles as Arthur throws him into the air slightly and catching him "Come on, you promised you'd do your studies once you'd trained." Ember tells her son. "Okay, Mama." Edmund nods. Callie walks onto the field, Arthur putting Edmund on his feet "You go with Callie, Edmund. I'll catch up with you." Ember smiles. Edmund nods and runs over to Callie, Callie smiling and taking the boy's hand as they walk back to the castle "His studies going well?" Arthur asks. "Yeah, he's learnt to spell his name already." Ember smiles.

Ember sits with Gaius as Merlin walks in looking upset "What's wrong?" Gaius asks

Ember sits with Gaius as Merlin walks in looking upset "What's wrong?" Gaius asks. "I saved Arthur's life, someone else got the credit. Just the usual. What are you doing?" Merlin responds. "I found this inscription on the sceptre." Gaius tells him, showing him the piece of parchment he has copied it onto. "What language is that?" Merlin asks. "I don't know. Sigan would have known many languages." Gaius tells him. "Sigan?" Merlin responds in confusion. "It's his tomb." Gaius says. "Who's he?" Merlin asks. "Merlin, he was the most powerful sorcerer to have lived." Ember tells him. "Really?" Merlin asks in intrigue. "You didn't grow up in Camelot, but for those of us that did, Cornelius Sigan was a figure of nightmare." Ember explains. "Why?" Merlin asks. "Sigan's powers. He could change day into night, turn the tides, and legend has it, his spells helped build Camelot itself." Gaius tells him. "What happened?" Merlin frowns. "In the end, he grew too powerful and the king at that time ordered his execution." Ember tells him. "If he's dead, why are you both so worried?" Merlin asks them. "Sigan couldn't bear the thought that his wealth and power would die with him, so he became obsessed with finding a way to defeat death itself." Gaius explains. "You think he might have succeeded?" Merlin realises. "Let's hope not, for all our sakes." Ember responds.