Chapter Seven - The Gates of Avalon

Ember stands in the court room, next to Arthur as a man and young woman explain what happened to them "My name is Aulfric, heir to Tír-Mòr

Ember stands in the court room, next to Arthur as a man and young woman explain what happened to them "My name is Aulfric, heir to Tír-Mòr. This is my daughter, Sophia." the man says. "You're a long way from home. What brings you to Camelot?" Uther asks. "Our home was sacked by raiders, We barely escaped with what few possessions we could carry." Aulfric explains. "These are dangerous times. What will you do?" Uther asks him. "We travel west to Caerleon where we have family and, I hope, a new life." Aulfric responds. "You must stay here awhile, break your journey. A noble family like yours is always welcome in Camelot." Uther tells them. Aulfric and Sophia bow before exiting, Arthur and Sophia staring at each other as they do.

Leaving the room, Ember walks down the corridor with Arthur and Merlin "Make sure you put her in a decent room." Arthur tells Merlin, talking about Sophia. "The one next door's empty." Merlin responds. "The one next door's fine. Excellent, in fact... Shut up, Merlin." Arthur says, noticing Merlin's smile. "What? I didn't say anything." Merlin tells him. "You didn't have to. I want to make it clear that my intentions towards Sophia are completely honourable. Put her in the room on the other side of the castle. It's warmer, more comfortable." Arthur decides. "Of course. She...er...is very beautiful." Merlin remarks, Ember rolling her eyes. "Yes, she is." Arthur agrees, Ember shaking her head. "And if your intentions are honourable..." Merlin starts. "Oh, they are. Most definitely." Arthur cuts in. "Then what's the problem with her staying next door?" Merlin asks. "There isn't one. You've convinced me. Put her in the room next to mine." Arthur decides. Ember sighs "Just don't get too attached or do anything stupid." Ember tells her best friend, walking to her chambers.

That night Ember tosses and turns in her sleep, she dreams about the fire

That night Ember tosses and turns in her sleep, she dreams about the fire. Ember's eyes flicker slightly, her irises burning the fiery orange. The curtain opposite her bed catches fire as she sits up screaming, her eyes still the fiery orange. Arthur runs in, his eyes widening when he sees the curtains on fire "Ember!" he exclaims, running over and picking her up. He quickly carries her out of her room as guards run into her room to put out the fire "I got you Ember." Arthur soothes, taking her to his room. Ember clings to Arthur was he sits on his bed, letting her sit on him "I-I was back there. It was so...so hot." Ember whimpers, hiding her face in his chest. Merlin comes rushing in, his jacket over his night shirt "I heard what happened, Gaius is on his way. Do you need me to get anything?" he asks, worried about his friend. "Can you grab some water?" Arthur asks. Merlin nods and heads out the room to get some "S-Sorry for waking y-you." Ember apologises. "You don't need to apologise Ember, you're my best friend. I'm always going to be here for you." Arthur tells her. Ember snuffles and hides her face in Arthur's chest, Arthur resting his chin on the top of her head as her gently strokes circles into her arm with his thumb.