Chapter Six - A Remedy to Cure All Ills

Ember sits in her window seat, reading, when Callie walks in with a bunch of lilies "Look what's just arrived for you

Ember sits in her window seat, reading, when Callie walks in with a bunch of lilies "Look what's just arrived for you." Callie smiles. "Who are they from?" Ember asks, closing her book with a smile and walking over to look at the lilies. "I don't know. Maybe Arthur?!" Callie suggests with a smile. "How disappointing." Ember jokes with a laugh. "Why? Who'd you like them to be from?" Callie asks her. "I don't know. Tall, dark stranger?" Ember responds with a smile. "I'll get some fresh water for them." Callie tells her, putting the flowers on the bedside table.

That night, Ember climbs into bed as Callie puts out the candles "See you in the morning

That night, Ember climbs into bed as Callie puts out the candles "See you in the morning." Callie tells her. "Goodnight Callie." Ember smiles, closing her eyes as she drifts off to sleep. As she sleeps, Ember does not see or sense the bug falling out of the lilies and climbing up and into her ear. The next morning Ember doesn't wake up making Callie run to get Gaius, Arthur and the King.

After two days Ember's condition had not changed "Her body seems to have closed down." Gaius explains, examining Ember. "Why? You don't have an answer do you? Nothing you've tried so far has worked. It's been nearly two days. And what do you know?" Uther asks. "I fear she may have some form of inflammation of the brain." Gaius explains. "What could cause such a thing?" Uther asks him. "An infection, possibly, rest assured, I will do everything in my power to cure her, Sire." Gaius assures, walking out as Arthur walks in. "How is she?" Arthur asks worriedly. "Still no change." Uther tells him. "You go deal with the matters in the court father, I'll stay with Ember and send word if anything happens." Arthur tells him. Uther puts a hand on Arthur's shoulder before leaving, Arthur sitting in the chair next to Ember's bed "You have to wake up Ember, we all need you. I need you. I can't lose my best friend." he tells her, holding her hand gently in his.

That evening Arthur sits in Ember's room, watching Ember as Merlin paces behind him "It's gonna be alright. It is. I know it is. She's gonna be absolutely..." Merlin starts. "Merlin." Arthur cuts him off. "What?" Merlin asks as he stops pacing. "You're making me anxious." Arthur tells him. "But I'm not worried." he responds. "Then stop pacing." Arthur tells him. Merlin sits down but starts tapping his fingers on the table, making Arthur get up to begin pacing himself. Every now and then, Arthur stops his pacing to look at Ember to make sure nothing has changed.