twenty six

Walking out of the room that smells slightly too much like cleaning supplies, I make another attempt to wipe the puffiness from my eyes. I've just gotten through my first one-on-one therapy session where I'd gone through everything that went down that day. It was awkward as hell, but I figured that she'd heard a lot of people tell her worse stories than that. It wasn't what I expected; I didn't lay across the couch as she told me to try and move on. She just asked me to recall the memory and listened while taking notes.

I can't say it went bad at all, actually. I love Harry with all my heart and he's my rock through all of this but opening up to someone who isn't looking to distract me or cheer me up and is just listening intently is refreshing. I haven't gone into too much detail about what happened, but with Dr. Lisa, the words just started spilling out.

I have to admit, I was extremely embarrassed when tears began flowing down my face with the first few words I'd said. She didn't say anything, just picked up a box of tissues from the table beside her and placing them in front of me. I like how calm she was, but the professionalism made it almost easier to confess everything, in a way.

I know I'm a stubborn person by nature, always have been, but I know I'll have to admit to Harry and mum they were right. I check my phone, seeing I've gotten a text from Harry telling me he's out front. I send him a quick 'ok' before turning on the camera app. Seeing my red, puffy eyes, I curse as I try once more to get rid of any signs of vulnerability, but it does nothing and I decide Harry's seen my cry enough for me to feel comfortable crying around him.

Walking out, I open the car door and get in, trying to hold onto the silence as much as I ca before I buckle up and begin toying with the radio. When I settle on a station, I turn it down to create a calming background noise.

"How'd it go?" he asks me hesitantly, clearly waiting for me to go off on him that I hated it and that therapy is a waste of time. It then brings me to the realization that I've had such a short fuse with him.

"Good," I nod quietly, still looking out the window.

"You alright?" he asks, and I turn to him and smile reassuringly, which eases the worry etched onto his face into hopefulness.

"Yeah," I say. "Thank you for picking me up."

"Of course," he nods. "I couldn't be prouder of you, Lou. You're so brave for giving it a try." His words bring me a sense of pride, and I can't help but smile shyly, blushing as I turn towards the window again.

"I only tried it cuz of you," I admit. I can practically feel him beaming at me as he pulls out of the parking lot.

"So, I was thinking," he says, changing the subject. "It must've been a pretty long day for you, correct?"

"Yeah, I guess so," I shrug.

"And nothing brightens your day like ice cream," he says, causing me to turn quickly, grinning excitedly at him. "So, you alright to make a stop at the parlor on our way home?"

"Harry, really?" I ask him. He nods, chuckling. "I'm always happy to, you know that."

"Great," he smiles, turning onto the exit that directs us towards the ice cream parlor. Once we arrive, we hop out and he comes around to my side. He gives me the biggest, warmest hug and I hug him back naturally. "I haven't gotten the chance to hug you all day."

"I missed you," I mumble into his chest.

"Missed you, too."

"Alright, now let's hurry before all the ice cream melts," I say, pulling his arm as he laughs.

"Pretty sure that isn't how it works, babe."

"Whatever," I say, and we order before taking out ice cream and sitting across from each other on the bench outside.

"I really am proud of you, Lou. I know it must be scary to go and talk to a stranger like that," he tells me, the conversation turning serious and sincere.

"Thank you," I tell him genuinely, looking him straight in the eyes to show him that I mean it. "I know I've been super difficult, and I know it's been hard for you, too. Just, thank you for sticking around and never giving up on me. I really wouldn't be on the road to recovery the way I am right now without you."

"I doubt you wouldn't find a way to get through this without me," he says. "But I'll always be by your side. Even in tough times, being with you makes me the happiest person I could ever be."

"I love you so much, Haz," I say.

"Love you too," he tells me, leaning in and kissing me. I put my ice cream between our faces as his eyes close and his face smashes into the cold dessert. I begin laughing, but my eyes widen as I shake my head when he brings his face up to mine. He plants a big, ice-creamy kiss on my cheek, leaving a big glob of chocolate there.

"Aw, Haz, now my face is gonna get sticky," I complain, dragging out the y. He smirks, and I just roll my eyes at his dirty mind before planting a kiss on his lips. I realize I haven't been this at ease and happy in so long, and I feel like for the first time, I'm really starting to move on.