The Interview

i braced myself and strutted on the stage towards the emtpy seat next to Finch. as my eyes got used to the bright lights i smiled widely at the crowd.

"ladies and gentlemen i present to you all the way from district 10, Cherry Coleman!" everybody cheered as i sat down, flattening my dress. "Welcome, welcome, now tell me Cherry, how does it feel like to be Capitol's favourite?"

i chuckled lightly, i didn't let my surprise seep onto my face. Capitol's favorite? yea i was going down for sure. "i don't know Finch how does it feel?" flattered by the compliment he smiled widely like a maniac and the crowd burst out laughing.

suddenly his face shifted to a more serious look. "Cherry tell me, what went through your mind when you hit that peacekeeper? that is kind of the reason we started to pay attention to you, such a bold move...",

"well i was pretty surprised by being picked, i was sad, confused, angry, so when that man shoved me i just, i snapped" i shrugged as Finch calmed down the crowd who was clapping furiously. "how are you liking the Capitol Cherry?"

the sudden change of mood caught me off guard but i responded immediately "it's nice, a bit too posh compared to what I'm used to but it's nice. good food." Finch erupted in a booming laugh and soon enough the crowd followed. "tell me Cherry, do you have a special someone in your heart at the moment?"

i tried to keep my composure even though the thought was tearing me down. "no i do not", lie. "oh well that's too bad then. now let's talk about the games, do you have anything in mind, any strategy, any goal?" i looked at the presentator straight in the eyes "no unfortunately I don't", liar. "um how about any special skill?"

i giggled, everyone already knew, what was the point in hiding it? "well, i was supposed to keep it private, but i guess i made a scene during training and now everyone knows that im very handy with a knife..." the whole room wemt crazy as the buzzer sounded behind us.

Finch grabbed my hand and helped me up as he announced once more "that was Cherry Coleman, from district 10, give a round of applause for cat girl!" no, i thought, no that was Clarissa's nickname not yours you lunatic yellow goblin.

i stormed off the stage to join the lounge where the tributes were packed after the inteview to watch all the other ones go by. i sat down next to the male of district 9, who was aggressively fiddling with his fingers, he looked terrified. i tried to relax myself and calm down the wave of emotions that took over me the last few days, but the tribute next to me kept twitching and it annoyed me greatly. i shot him a dark glare and he immediately stopped.

i directed my focus to the tv screen and saw the begining of Jonas' interview, he looked completely calm wnd serene; smiling, waving and laughing along with Finch, like he was in his element.

they blabbled about the Capitol, making a few jokes, the time was almost up when Finch asked the question "now tell me Jonas, is there a special someone out there?" i tensed up in my seat, no no no no! he can't say anything about that, no. as far as he's concerned i don't like him and I want nothing to do with him, he knows that i don't want anyone knowing about his little secret.

i balled my hands into fists, clenching them so hards my knuckles turned white. i saw Jonas 'look of calm wash off his face as his eyes darted towards the exit, knowing that i was watching.

he lowered his head and sighed dramatically "no, no there is no special someone" all the pressure in my body released and i slid back down into my seat. good. the only reason i wanted no one to know was because i needed to look tough and if he confessed his attraction to me i would look like a weak, loveable girl. sure i was going to die but i needed to live long enough to protect him and if i looked weak i stood no chance.

Jonas appeared in the door frame and walked to me, he plopped in the seat next to me and sighed heavily, he looked drained. "thank you" i whispered softly to him. he looked at me with eyes full of sadness and smiled lightly "you're welcome". the girl from 11 appeared on the screen and they started to chat, the same questions going around again and again. i zoned out and let my mind wander. what if he had confessed, and what if i had confessed to him my feelings. he would have never let me go at the end of my plan. sure he liked me but I'm pretty sure he would not kill himself for me. if i had told him it would have sparked new, more powerful feelings and he could want to save me. i couldn't let that happen. it was all for the better.

"why are you doing this again?" a stupid snarky voice rose in my head. no, don't say it. that's what it wants, to hear you say it. no, don't say it- because I love him. and here it goes, all the constant fight in my head was suddenly blown to bits by these three simple words. the girl on the screen exited the stage and Rufus waltzed on the stage like he owned the place. ugh the arrogance of this guy was killing me!

the way he answered the presentator's questions with such confidence and pride was almost too cringe to look at. Finch asked more questions about the games this time, asking about startegies and game plans, weapons and thoughts about the arena. i was about to tune it out when the last question peaked my interest, "Is there anyone you like? anyone you would like to give a shout out to, show your affection?"

Finch gave Rufus a playful nudge, well this was going to be funny i smiled to myself. Rufus probably had a girlfriend in his district, he was going to give a gooey heartfelt speech which would make half of these dim witted Capitol people shed a tear probably.

Rufus looked at the yellow haired man straight in his eyes. "well you see Finch, she doesn't know it, she is very special to me but she doesn't know it, and I know that we have no chance whatsoever because of the games but i just wanted to say that yes i really like someone and that someone is you Cherry. you have a special place in my heart, always remember that"

he put a hand to his heart and blew a kiss at the camera. my mouth hung open and my eyes were wide with shock. what. the actual. fuck. just happened. Rufus, the same Rufus who was as cocky as a career and the same one who was too arrogant and self centered to save himself, that same person, had a crush on me? oh you've got to be kidding me. this is great, simply great.