Ch 18

*I know it's been years since I've updated but I really want to continue this story. It was so good I don't know why my 14 year old self stopped. I know a lot of you wanted me to keep going so if you're still interested please read. I appreciate you* <3

Karen's pov

How do I know for sure what Matt is telling me is true? He could be making all this up. Every time Jack is near me so is Matt. What's up with that?

"Are you jealous of Jack?" I question him. What other reason would Matt want him to stay away from me? And how does he always know when Jack is around me?

"It's not what you think-" Matt starts to say but I cut him off.

"Then what exactly is it because you always say I'm in some sort of "danger" and there somebody coming after me but how do you expect me to believe it when you don't tell me anything?" I say a little too loud.

"Karen you just have to trust me." Matt puts his hands on my shoulders looking down at me. I shake my head no and move him off me.

"I don't." I say quietly and start walking inside.

I start looking for Siena and I see her playing beer pong with people she's never met before. I always loved how outgoing she is. I wish I was more like her. I don't want to ruin her fun since we've barley done anything since we got here in Virginia. I decide to send her a text that I'm going home since I don't want to bother her.

I start walking out the door when Jack stops me.

"You're leaving already?" Jack says staring up and down at me making me feel uncomfortable.

"Yeah, I'm tired." I lie. I end the conversation short and start walking towards my car hoping he doesn't follow me.

"You should stay, it's not even midnight yet!" He says catching up next me and touching the side of my arm.

"She said she wanted to leave."  I turn around and see Matt. Great. "You just keep bothering her don't you?" Matt says getting closer and closer to Jack's face.

"Matt stop." I say as I put my hand on his chest. It feels oddly warm.

"I'm sorry." Jack says backing up and puts his arms up as if he really means it.

"Don't fucking come near here again or I'll will fuc-"Matt says getting closer to Jack but I stop him. Again.

"Matt please stop." I say again hoping he would. I don't want them to fight. Especially for no reason. I pull Matt away from Jack towards my car.

"What's wrong with you?" I say to Matt making sure Jack didn't hear me.

"We need to go. Now." He grabs my keys from my hand heading to the drivers seat.

What does he think he's doing? He's really starting to get my nerves and he won't leave me alone.

"Karen please. I'll explain if you get in the car with me." He pleads

I sign and instead of protesting against him I get inside. I need to know what he has to say.

Matt starts driving to who knows where. I should've just stayed at that lame party with Siena. How is she going to get home?

"Let's go back." I say regretting ever coming to this party in the first place.

"Karen you need to stay away from him. He's not whatever you think he is." He says staring at the dark road. There's no street lights on which makes it even more terrifying.

"What do you mean by that?" My stomach starts to turn.

"Remember when I told you your demons are coming after you? Yeah he's one of them." He states.

One of them? There's multiple? What does he even mean by demons?

"Yes there's more than just him. They disguise themselves as trusting people. It could be anyone." He says reading my mind.

"How do I know you're not one of them?" I move my body farther from him as if that's going to help me here.

"I wouldn't be telling you this if I was. I told you I'm not the bad guy here from the beginning." That's a good point.

"Ok so where are we going? More importantly what do they want from me?" I start to freak out a little inside.

"Calm down everything is going to be okay. That's why I'm here to protect you." He's words make me feel so safe. But him not answering me makes me think if I want to know what they want and I don't think that I do.

Matt's pov

I can't let another one slip away from me. I'm not going to lose this time. I know what I have to do and it sucks I'm doing it all alone. I really hope things are different this time.