Life Keeps Going

Qibli PoV:

Qibli opened his eyes. The sun was just rising over the top of the distant mountains, and there was a crisp coolness in the air that reminded Qibli of the deserted area between the Ice Kingdom and the desert. Winter, who was still lying beside him with one wing resting gently on Qibli's back, was already awake and watching the sunrise with a peaceful expression. He still had deep shadows under his tired eyes, but he looked better, mentally, and more awake than he had in days.

"Good morning," Winter murmured, turning to meet Qibli's gaze as he lifted his head.

"Morning. How long have you been awake?" Qibli asked.

"About an hour," Winter replied.

"You've just been sitting there for an hour?" Qibli asked, scanning his friend's face carefully.

"Well... um, ...yes," Winter said, blue blush starting to spread across his face.

"So you're not going to tell me why?" Qibli said playfully after a moment.

"I didn't want to leave you," Winter admitted.

"Why not?" Qibli asked, curious and slightly concerned.

"I had the dream again," Winter explained. "It was easier to shake it off when you were there because you reminded me that it wasn't real."

"True," Qibli joked. "If I really didn't like you I wouldn't be sleeping under your wing." To his surprise, Winter laughed.

"Well, we should probably get up; everyone else will be here soon." Winter said a few moments later. "Plus we'd never hear the end of it if Kinkajou saw us like this."

"Ha ha, true," Qibli laughed, standing up and stretching, then shivered.

"Chilly?" Winter asked, arching his back and stretching his wings above his head.

"A little," Qibli admitted. Winter stepped forward and wrapped his wing, which was still warm, around Qibli.

"Than-" Qibli started, smiling, but was suddenly cut off by a loud screech from inside the caves.

"EEEEEEEEE MOON LOOKLOOKLOOK!" Kinkajou squealed, pulling the NightWing over to where Winter and Qibli were standing.

"There you are," Moon said, smirking up at them. "We were looking for you."

"We just - uh - came out to look at the sunrise." Qibli lied, exchanging a glance with Winter, who still had his wing wrapped around Qibli. He knew that Winter wouldn't let Qibli help him anymore if he told everyone the IceWing's fears, and there was something about the nighttime interaction in general that seemed like it should be kept secret.

"The sunrise?" Moon asked skeptically, a knowing look in her eye. She didn't press the matter, though, instead changing the subject to their history essays as they headed to the prey center.

"Ugh," Kinkajou groaned, her ruff turning a sad gray-blue color. "Don't remind me."

"But you finished it, right?" Moon prompted.

"Um," Kinkajou shifted uncomfortably. "Yes...?"

"Kinkajou!" Moon exclaimed. "That paper is due today!" Beside Qibli, Winter shifted guiltily.

"You too?" Qibli whispered. Winter nodded almost imperceptibly. "Don't worry about it. It's only been a week, Tsunami will understand that you're going through stuff."

"But I don't want to tell her," Winter breathed.

"Then I'll make up something," Qibli replied under his breath.