Memories

168 READS! THANK YOU!!! :DDD

Winter PoV:

Winter waited uncomfortably as the Jade Winglet and the rest of the Silver Winglet left the classroom.

"Now," Webs said once the last student had left. "About your deskwork. I -"

"I'm sorry," Winter blurted. "I just-"

"Wait," Webs interrupted. "Tsunami is going to be joining us shortly; I'm not the only one who's had concerns with your work." Right on cue, the blue SeaWing hurried into the classroom.

"Sorry I'm late," she said, panting slightly. "Had to break up an argument in the halls. Also I met Sunny on the way, so she came too." Tsunami flicked her tail at the entrance as the little golden SandWing stepped calmly into the classroom as well.

"So what's going on again?" Sunny asked, sounding serious.

"We're having a little chat with Winter here about his classes," Webs replied ominously, waving a talon at Winter.

"You say 'chat' as if you're planning on doing something to him," Sunny said sharply, looking sternly up at the older dragon.

"Maybe we can resolve disagreements about students' punishments after we figure out what in the three moons is going on?" Tsunami interjected before Webs could say anything.

"Yes, right," Sunny said, turning to Winter and arranging her face to look calm yet stern. Tsunami stepped in front of his desk with authority.

"Why do you keep failing your tests and turning in half-written reports?" Tsunami asked in her no-nonsense voice, getting straight to the point. "I thought you were usually better than this." Behind her, Sunny flinched at her wording, but kept quiet.

"I keep getting distracted," Winter replied, dropping his gaze to his talons. "And I keep getting sidetracked and forgetting to write the reports." It wasn't quite true, but it was the best he could come up with.

"Distracted and sidetracked by what?" Tsunami snapped. Winter didn't respond, and she continued. "You didn't have problems with your work last time."

"Perhaps a bit of punishment will help it to stick in your mind better," Webs suggested. "Maybe a night of detention will help you focus."

"I think it would be more effective to first figure out what the problem is," Sunny interjected.

"It would be," Tsunami agreed. "If he would tell us what the problem is."

"You know you can tell us, right?" Sunny said softly, stepping up to stand beside Tsunami. "Now, what's going on?"

"I just got sidetracked when I went hunting," Winter lied, still not meeting their gaze. Tsunami let out a small hiss of frustration.

"You know, I'm starting to understand what your parents meant when they said you were a disappointment." Webs growled. Winter flinched and was shocked into looking up at him.

"Webs!" Sunny exclaimed.

"What?" Webs asked harshly, looking down at the little SandWing. "He's been failing every single assignment ever since he came back to school!" Winter lowered his head and closed his eyes, his wings drooping with shame. 

"But that doesn't mean you have to be mean," Sunny retorted.

"I'm not being mean," Webs said waspishly. "I'm stating facts."

"Can't you see it's bothering him?" Sunny snapped. Any other time Winter would have protested that he wouldn't be affected by anything Webs said, but he was still tired - despite sleeping well the previous night - and overwhelmed, so was just grateful that he at least had one dragon who would side with him here.