Open Up Your Eyes

Winter PoV:

"WILL YOU STOP YOUR SNORING OR SO HELP ME I WILL RIP YOUR NOSE OFF!" Rattlesnake bellowed at Sirocco, waking Winter up for the third time that night. By now two of the moons were in the sky and the third was starting to rise. Winter grunted and covered his face with one of his talons, trying to get back to sleep.

"Rattlesnake, we're trying to sleep," Qibli mumbled.

"We would all be asleep if SIROCCO WOULD STOP SNORING!" Rattlesnake yelled. Winter flinched at her loud voice and curled up tighter, hoping to drown out the loud SandWings so he could get some sleep.

"Your yelling is louder than his snoring," Qibli snapped. "You're the one keeping everyone awake."

"I wouldn't be yelling if Sirocco wasn't snoring," Rattlesnake retorted. Winter sighed and stood up, resettling his spikes as he walked to the doorway.

"And where do you think you're going?" Rattlesnake asked suspiciously.

"Out." Winter replied, not looking back at her. He walked along the path Sirocco had led them along earlier that night, trying to keep as quiet as possible so he didn't wake anyone else. He didn't know where exactly he'd wanted to go, but his talons led him outside to the garden. Winter sat down and looked up at the stars, which were somewhat diminished by the moons. At first he was immediately reminded of the Ice Kingdom, all the times Winter had stayed up late into the night training or studying to try and crawl up in the rankings. But then he remembered sitting under the stars with Qibli a few nights ago, talking about his nightmares of Darkstalker. Since then, Winter hadn't had any dreams whatsoever, however he suspected that it was because he was sleeping too deeply for dreams. Letting out a yawn, Winter moved over to one corner of the hedge-framed garden and curled up tightly, then watched the moons creep across the sky.

Suddenly Winter felt warm claws shaking his shoulder. Blearily he opened one eye to see Qibli's mother, Cobra, standing over him in the bright and warm sunlight. Surprised, Winter jumped to his feet, causing her to quickly take a step back.

"What are you doing out here?" Cobra asked, her voice level and calm.

"Um, sleeping?" Winter said. "Obviously?"

"Yes but, ah, wouldn't you be more comfortable in your room?" Cobra said, her expression blank and expressionless. Winter snorted.

"No," he said. "Not with Rattlesnake's yelling." Suddenly Winter heard talonsteps from inside.

"Oh, there you are!" Qibli called, coming quickly out of the hallway leading to the room they'd been assigned and rushing over to him. The SandWing froze when he saw his mother standing there analyzing them. "What are you doing here?"

"Finding out why there was an IceWing sleeping in the garden." Cobra replied flatly, nodding at Winter. "Anyway, your grandfather wants you two to come have breakfast." She abruptly turned around and walked away, setting a brisk pace. Heaving a sigh, Winter trailed after her, Qibli at his side. A few moments later they reached Vulture's pavilion, where the large SandWing was lounging on his throne-like seat, Sirocco and Rattlesnake standing on opposite sides of the room. It seemed like Vulture's idea of 'breakfast' was the previous night's leftovers, because there were many of the same dishes; roasted scorpions, fried chicken, and bread sat on a low table not too far away. However this morning there was some sort of white liquid in a jar.

"Good morning," Vulture greeted in a deceptively warm voice.

"...Good morning," Qibli repeated slowly, eyeing Vulture suspiciously.

"Awwww, is widdle Qibli still sweepy?" Rattlesnake sneered.

"No," Qibli snapped, glaring at her. "Not that you made it very easy to sleep."