Puzzle Pieces

Qibli PoV:

"Vulture, where's the rest of it?" Thorn asked, a slight accusation in her tone. There was a long pause as they all waited for Vulture to speak. Maybe he hid it somewhere, like out under a dune or cactus. Qibli thought, his brain jumping into action. But he'd need a way to mark it - some sort of landmark. Unless he could memorize the shape of just any cactus. I would've thought that he would choose something more obvious - but for something like this he wouldn't want to make a show of it.

Unless he really doesn't have the rest of the treasure. Maybe it was stolen - no, who could ever steal from Vulture and get away alive? But maybe he gave it to some of the dragons he had working for him.

Or maybe both. Maybe he gave it to a messenger or a Talon, and they took it and hid it somewhere else.

Okay, so saying he did give it to a Talon to hide, where would he order them to take it? Put it in another tribe's kingdom to make them look guilty? But he has nothing against the other tribes. Hide it somewhere far away so he couldn't be associated with it? But where would he put it? In any other kingdom he'd risk making them look guilty too, and therefore they wouldn't want to have a business alliance with a dragon from the tribe who started the drama.

But what if he did put it in another tribe's kingdom, and he just hid it really well? Somewhere that they'd never be looking, not for anything.

"You have to know something!" Queen Thorn snapped, bringing Qibli back to reality. He glanced over at Winter to see what the IceWing was making of the conversation, since Qibli had apparently missed a part of it. However, the pale blue dragon just looked annoyed as usual, no doubt masking any true emotions around all these strange dragons. Qibli did notice that the IceWing's eyes glittered with many different emotions. I guess I'll have to ask him later. he mentally noted.

"That's all the treasure," Vulture said smoothly. "I don't know where any of the rest of it is." Oh! Qibli realized. He must have given it to one of his Talons to go hide it, but he didn't tell them where to hide it so then he didn't have to give it up. Then he'd be able to use this excuse if he got confronted about it. Like right now. He tried to give Thorn a warning glance to warn her to not trust Vulture, but she was too busy glaring at the tattooed SandWing to notice.

"Fine, we'll deal with this later." Thorn said, twisting around briskly to face Smolder and Six-Claws. "Smolder, will you take the treasure we have to the Great Ice Cliff? And Six-Claws, would you keep an eye on Vulture as we escort him to the dungeons?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," Six-Claws said, skillfully keeping his face expressionless when her wings twitched uncomfortably. Teasing aside, it is useful to give the impression that they're nothing more than queen and royal officer. Qibli thought. 

"Of course, Queen Thorn," Smolder replied, and the SandWing queen handed him the bag that held the small portion of the IceWing's treasure.

"Qibli and Winter, are you two coming?" Thorn asked, turning to face each of them. Are we? Qibli wondered, looking to Winter. The IceWing shrugged carelessly. Well, I guess that means its up to me, he thought.

"Yeah," Qibli told her.

"Alright, let's head out then," Thorn instructed. "Vulture, you're coming too, even if we have to drag you to the palace." Behind him, Winter let out one of his signature snorts. What? Does he think that our dragons wouldn't do something like that? the defensive part of Qibli's mind flared instinctively, but then the other half broke in. No... No, he knows all about soldiers being loyal - he was one of them. And he doesn't think like that anymore; he's seen how loyal other tribes can be. He started picturing the soldiers carrying Vulture to the palace, and felt amusement bubble up inside of him. Maybe... he was just laughing. Its funny, after all. He jumped as he realized that everyone else was already taking off, and he quickly followed them into the air. Get your head out of the clouds, Qibli! You're going to get left behind again!