iv. welcome to the wolf den

"Yeah, that went badly

"Yeah, that went badly. No way Zed is getting the wolf vote." Eliza explained to Bonzo the next day. "Alright, what are our poll numbers?" Zed asked. Bonzo responded in Zombie. "Ugh. That's awful." Zed said. "We just gotta make sure you deliver a killer speech tomorrow, okay? So the first step is-" Zed cut Eliza off. "More glossy publicity shots." Bonzo pointed to the poster. "Yeah, I look a little human, but that's only because people are lumping werewolves and zombies together. I gotta show them that I'm nothing like those furballs."

                                                                                                    ***

The group rounded the corner to the gymnasium and opened the doors. The werewolves were at cheer practice with Addison and the rest of the cheerleaders. Bonzo went to go join in when they noticed Wyatt hugging Addison. "Yeah. That scruffy, super handsome, fine smelling Wyatt is really into Addison." Eliza said. "You know what? They're just cheering." Witney said, trying to dismiss her sister's claims. "And laughing." Zed added. "But I'm sure she's just convincing the wolves to vote for me." He said.

Witney nodded. "I'm not threatened." Zed said, noticing Wyatt and Addison still talking. "Are you threatened?" He asked Witney. She shook her head. "Definitely not." She said through her teeth. She quietly growled under her breath. "Why do I keep doing that?" She exclaimed, frustrated. They noticed Wyatt grabbing Addison's hand and didn't even notice that Eliza had left. Addison looked away from Wyatt and her eyes found Witney and Zed next to the door.

"Witney! Zed!" She called out. Witney growled again, slamming her fist against the door before storming into the hallway with Zed behind her. Addison ran after them. "Witney! Zed! What's wrong?" She asked. "Werewolves. They're not interested in fitting in." Zed said. "They're into cheer." Addison said. "No, they're into you, and you're into him... them." Zed corrected himself. "What?" Addison questioned. "Why are you acting like this?"

"Do you know how hard it was for zombies? Now everything is just being handed to the werewolves on a silver platter." Zed shouted. "Actually, they hate silver." Witney spoke up. "I'm trying to win an election for my people, for you. So, we can go to Prawn, so we can be accepted." Zed exclaimed. Addison gestured to the poster behind them. "That's not being accepted. That's being afraid to show who you really are." She said. "Says the girl who wore a wig her whole life."

Witney gasped, and suddenly all of her anger disappeared. "Zed." She said in disappointment. Her fingers started twirling with her own unnatural white hair. "Yeah. I did. Because I always felt like an outsider. And even thought I might be cheer captain, I still do. You know I don't have a place here. Don't have a zombie crew. I don't know what I am! So, excuse me for respecting a pack of werewolves who are proud of who they are." Addison ranted. She shook her head at Zed before running off.

He turned to Witney, who also shook her head at him before leaving. She started walking away while singing, not knowing that Zed and Addison were singing the same song. Witney stopped singing and realized she had found herself in the Forbidden Forest. A branch snapped and she looked around. "Hello?" She called out. Willa appeared from behind the trees. "Witney, what are you doing here?" She asked. Witney shook her head. "I don't know. I was just walking, and I guess my mind just led me here." She admitted.

Willa smiled, a knowing look on her face. She held out her hand. "Come on. There's something I want to show you." She said. Willa led Witney to a cave hidden within the forest. "Welcome to the wolf den." She said. Willa led her inside and Witney looked around in awe. "This is where you live?" She asked Willa, turning to face the werewolf in amazement. The werewolf leader nodded with a smirk on her face. "It's amazing." Witney told her.

She looked around to see some older werewolves wrapped in blankets being taken care of by the younger werewolves. "What's happening?" She asked. Willa sighed. "Our necklaces are losing their charge. Without the moonstone, we can't recharge them, which means..." Willa trailed off. "You'd die." Witney realized. Willa nodded. "That's why we need to find the Great Alpha. She's supposed to lead us to it. She's said to be a girl with white hair." Willa said. "Addison." Witney realized.

Willa nodded. Wynter ran over to the two other girls. "Hi, Witney. Or as we say in werewolf..." Wynter howled. Witney chuckled before howling. "That was actually perfect." Willa pointed out. "Really?" Witney asked, feeling a blush creep up into her cheeks. "Okay, if you're gonna hang out with us, the first thing you have to do is get rid of that outfit." Wynter said. Witney looked down at her clothes in confusion. "What's wrong with it?" She asked. "It's cute, but way too zombie." Wynter said, grabbing Witney by the hand and leading her up the stairway.

                                                                                                     ***

"I look..." Witney trailed off as she looked into the mirror in Willa's bedroom. "Like a real wolf." Willa spoke up. Witney shot her a wide grin. Willa's eyes suddenly hardened. "Are you okay?" Witney asked, making eye contact with her through the mirror. "Witney, I think you could be the Great Alpha." Willa revealed. "Not Addison." Witney's eyes widened. "I can't be." She said, shaking the thought out of her head.

Willa shrugged. "You could be. You're adopted right?" Witney nodded. "Well, sixteen years ago, our Alphas gave up their only daughter. They left her outside of Zombietown for the zombies to find and raise her." Witney furrowed her eyebrows. "The baby was allegedly the Great Alpha, and that they gave her up to protect her. They knew one day she would come back and lead them to the moonstone." Willa continued explaining. "Well, where are the Alphas now?" Witney asked.

"They're gone. Long gone." Willa said. "They left to find her a couple years ago. They never came back." Witney nodded, trying to dull the feeling of her aching heart. "I'm just saying, maybe it's you they were looking for. Maybe you're the one who will save us." Willa said. Witney shrugged. "I can't be." She said again. "I couldn't do that to Addison." "Why not?" Willa asked. "Because I'm not looking for a place to fit in. Addison is. I have the zombies, and that's enough for me."