Chapter 46 Hunt in the Dark

Massia finally had time for herself, much to the chagrin of Makyra and her efforts. Over the past few days after the duel with Dulmont, things have settled into relative unease amongst the royalty. Many simply did not know how to approach it really. Many had expected, no, bet on the fact that Dulmont would be victorious. He should have done away with the upstart princess, humiliating Liontari and bringing further doubt upon Celia and her authority. But things could not have gone more wrong. And now many find themselves abandoning the fresh connections brought forth with this young Paladin in. His fresh vitality and promises of opportunity has seemed to simmer away. According to Celia's planning, Dulmont has lost favor because of his dishonorable actions in the dual. An aspect of all gods she knew would be brought forth, their ego and wish to be seen is their greatest weakness. Now Thanatos will be eager to retaliate and prove himself.

None of this weighed on Massia though. Ever since that day, it seemed a heavy burden had been lifted off her shoulders. A heavy one she has carried all the way since she was taken, prisoner. The fear of inferiority, the pain that ached in her chest. The fear of death. None of these things were gone necessarily, but she has instead given herself the confidence to confront it. Even still, she still has dreams. The same dreams. That might be in the Knights tower, staring into the eyes of the dark abyss, and his cold grip on her. She wakes up sweating and breathing like a beast of burden. But it was better, for she no longer weeps. The only thing that troubled her more so was Vermillia. She's been oddly quiet ever since the duel when Thanatos forcefully removed her from consciousness. Her dreams were getting worse as well, revisiting that day that Area fell, and her people with him and his kin.

"What do you think of it girl?" Vermillia asked her suddenly as she walked the halls, planning on going to the gardens to train.

"What do you mean?" Massia asked.

"The dreams," she said. "This can not be a mere coincidence surely."

"Both of our dreams," Massia said. "Of the gods?"

"Of our deaths," she corrected. "I see yours as you see mins. Thanatos killed you and revived you in an instant. And I fell at that battle along with my brethren. We have both in a unique way been touched by death and now walk amongst the living. This could be our curse perhaps."

"Perhaps," Massia echoed. "Or he's trying to tell us something, communicate?"

"What a foolish method," she said. "If he wishes to speak with us then face is."

"What if it's not Dulmont?" She asked. "What if it's Thanatos, the real Thanatos within him trying to tell us something? Something only we can hear."

"The gods often conflict with their mortal and divine selves," Vermillia said. "Much like ourselves. Except their duality can be fatal. Imagine you having to constantly suppress me, the pressure of a will not your own wanting, needing to act. Power unimaginable at your fingertips, with a nefarious and desperate grip of another wanting to tear it away. It can drive men mad, if not kill them outright."

"Dulmont must be the same," Massia decided. "That's why he snapped at the Duel?"

"Who knows," she said. "Perhaps we should inform your mother of your dreams. This could be crucial for-"

Massia was so engrained within her own mind she thoughtlessly collided with another as they rounded a corner. She managed to collect herself before falling thankfully, someone seeing the princess of Liontari on her butt would witness an embarrassing sight. But she caught her breath when she noticed just who she had run into. Thanatos, recovering, grumbled his profanity under his breath preparing to apologize. But as soon as their gazes met, any words of kindness died in his throat. Immediate anger and outrage tempered by little restraint burned deep within his eyes. Massia almost shriveled back at the sight of him, but something held her firm.