Hurt

Pete was ushered back to his chamber and helped to change his clothes. The maids were already working on cleaning the wound when the guards outside announced the arrival of surgeon. A men in his late 70s walked in carrying a pouch bag in his hand, supporting himself with an aid of a crooked stick.

The maids immediately rushed to help him, setting up a place for the elderly man to make himself comfortable. He sat down on the chair placed close to bed and began to examine the wound. "A day in palace and the royalty has already began to hurt you." The old man said while gently holding the elbow and examining the wound.

"I-It's completely fine... I don't hold anyone responsible for it." Pete replied. "A very wise person you are, your highness. But be careful of the people around. Not everyone has good intentions." The person said as he began to clean the wound. Pete hissed when he felt the pain.

"Can you get me a bowl of warm water young ladies?" the old man asked the maids and the two nodded, immediately rushing out of the room to get the desired stuff. The old man then placed the hand aside and began to rummage through his pouch bag and pulled out something. It was a pin, beautifully carved and looking expensive.

"Your highness, I present this to you. It may look to be an ornament to be worn in hairs but remember that it's a weapon. Hidden inside the stick is a pin which is coated with poison. When you feel that you are in danger, use it. That's all I can help you with. This is a palace of an emperor, there are enemies on each step so be careful." The old man informed.

"But why do you think that someone will try to hurt me?" Pete asked curiously. "I have lived for long and have witnessed lot many things. This place is not what it looks like. Be alert and watch out for dangers." The man replied.

He then pulled out a pot and handed it to Pete. "This is called assassin's pot. You can see that it has two holes, one at top and the other at bottom. You can store two drinks in it and can use it as a safety measure. You just need to check which hold is to be closed to get the desired drink. I think, this will prove of help for you. But also watch out for others because there are many out there who would try to use the same trick on you. I know you are smart and wise and that's the only reason for bringing in these gifts." The old man explained. Pete placed the gifts on the nearby table while the old man began his work again.

The maids arrived soon after carrying a bowl of water and placed it on the table. The surgeon cleaned up the wound and then began to apply a paste made from some kind of leaves but rather than feeling the burning sensation, Pete felt that the pain has subsided and there was a cold feeling that he was getting from the paste.

"This will help you feel better and also recover fast." The old man said as he started to wrap a bandage around the wound. The maid stood close by watching the surgeon do his work.

Just when he finished, the guards outside announced the arrival of the emperor and empress. And two figures immediately walked in and everybody stood up to greet them in respect. "Your majesty..." the surgeon greeted while bowing.

"Sir Amonrat, thank you for being here." The emperor greeted. "I am more than honored your majesty. But I will ask for your leave now. I need to get back and check on few of my works." The surgeon replied.

"Sure Sir Amonrat..." the emperor agreed and the old man quickly walked out of the place while sparing a last glance at Pete. "Dear, how are you feeling?" the empress asked as she sat down beside Pete and began to examine his hand. "I am fine mae. It's just a scratch. Sir Amonrat have already cleaned and bandaged it up so it will heal soon." Pete assured.

"You are a strong boy my son. I have asked Sir Sathit to look into this matter and investigate about everything. It's really unusual for something like this to happen." The emperor informed. "Your majesty, thank you for the concern. But I think it was an accident." Pete tried to reason out.