Dottore

What Lumine found on the other side of the door was somewhat surprising. Instead of the bright hallways she had walked with Dottore, she was in a large, empty room. A very cold, large, empty room. She listened closely but heard nothing. Lowering her sword, she used the wall as support. She was so dizzy. The room started spinning, and she had to learn herself fully against the wall. She closed her eyes momentarily, but before long, she heard quick footsteps approaching outside the door. She panicked, automatically drawing her blade, but she knew she was too weak for that.

Still, she watched as the door creaked open. Instead of Dottore, or another harbinger, there was only a Fatui Agent- seemingly of lower ranking, with the way she carried herself. She seemed to stare at Lumine for an eternity, before gasping quietly, sprinting out the door. Lumine watched her leave.

It went silent for a few minutes. She didn't know what to do; she had no energy. Even if she escaped, she wouldn't make it very far. She definitely couldn't take fighting right now. Her only viable option was to cooperate.

Even though she would rather die than help the Fatui, she supposed she didn't want to die at their hands.

She steeled herself. The next time the door opened, it was Dottore. Then again, he had like, a million clones. "Real" Dottore or not, she didn't like him. They only stare at each other, though he was smiling ever so slightly- in a creepy way.

"Surely you know what the Fatui is, yes? We are the right-hand warriors for the Tsaritsa. We have successfully replicated the power of gods. We have captured the savior of three nations. We have all the power here." He paused.

"Now, knowing that you thwarted the Fatui's plan in Inazuma, do you feel proud? Helped kill a harbinger..! And fought another, too. Though, they were of lesser strength."

She had no idea what he was getting at, but listened nonetheless, because what else could she do?

"Have you ever wondered what our policy is? I mean, you scramble around Teyvat, fighting and killing Fatui left and right.. surely, you have at least thought of the consequences?"

She still didn't say anything. The pain from standing up made her want to cry, but she wouldn't give him that satisfaction.

"Tut, tut. Sick won't do. Our lady the Tsaritsa wants a strong replacement, and who am I to devoid Her Majesty of one?"

With that, Lumine pressed her lips completely together. A replacement. Surely they didn't mean her? Who would she be replacing..?

Dottore watched the gears turn in her head. When her sick eyes widened, he smiled wider.

"After studying your body system for 10 days, and holding you in confinement for 2, we've determined you to be good enough for the job. Our Lady the Tsaritsa wanted a warrior with meaning, like our dear Rosalynne. Who could have more meaning than the mysterious traveler, slayer of gods and savior of Teyvat? And," He narrowed his eyes.

"The sole cause of Rosalynne's death."

Lumine couldn't take it anymore. That day flooded back to her. The lightning hitting her body, the smell of burning flesh, La Signora's screaming fading into nothing but thunder.

The sheer pain.

She flinched. "No, she- she got herself killed, she knew she would die if she lost. She- she did this to herself!" Lumine couldn't help it now, she was crying.

"Tut, tut. The grieving period ended 3 weeks ago. Harbingers don't cry, now do they?" He had approached her. She pressed herself against the wall.

"I would rather die."

He laughed again, that sickening sound echoing in the cold room. "With your condition, you very well could. Of course, that only makes our plan so much easier to execute."

She was shaking, trying as hard as possible to suppress the tears. It didn't work.

He stepped back. "The 15th annual reranking is next month. Sneznaya as a whole is expecting eleven harbingers, regardless of who it is. They feel panicked when one of us is.." He met her eyes again, "missing."

"Now. You have two options. You can follow instructions without issue, and make this easier for everyone. Or, you could make a futile attempt at fighting back. Either way, we will be getting what we want. What will it be?"

He stared at her.

"Like I said, I would rather die."

"I was hoping you'd say that!"

She raised her sword, but before she could attack, he lunged at her.