The Re-Rankings

"Alright, let the Re-Rankings begin in 5...!"

Vega could do this. She trained.

"4!"

She had a new sword, she had so many daggers, and she trained with a bow for quite a while.

"3!"

There's no way she'll die, after all, killing on purpose is against the rules.

"2!"

But that's only on purpose.

"1!"

A firework exploded and Vega was launched upwards with a gust of Anemo.

Her only focus right now was to run.

Some of the harbingers would not be kind. In fact, none of them would be. Vega's only option for now was to run. She ran fast, and hard, and she didn't stop. When she felt her legs weakening, she surged Anemo through them. She didn't even possess an Anemo vision, for Archon's sake, but she still did it.

She didn't have time to think about it. All she knew was the wind whipping in her hair, the blur of the trees as she ran as fast as she could. Eventually, she really did run out of energy. She surveyed the area. She was in a forest of huge trees, trees that seemed to reach the clouds. Looking around a bit more, Vega decided that she had two objectives: find somewhere to stay, and prepare to fight.

She started scaling a tree. The limbs of the tree were incredibly wide, which made for a great platform.

The problem? Vega put her hand on one branch, and it snapped, leaving her dangling by one hand- at such a large height that she definitely didn't want to fall. She surged every bit of energy she had into lifting herself up onto the branch.

When she finally got high enough, she hugged the tree trunk and looked outwards at the arena.

What she saw was both terrifying and amazing.

It was a huge expansive of many biomes- and she could see sparks of electro flying high into the air northwest of where she was. Behind her wasn't much except for more trees, and behind that, huge mountains.

Unfortunately, she couldn't sit there and look forever. While Hydro users had an advantage of not dehydrating as fast, Vega was void of that advantage. She was starting to feel awfully thirsty.

She thought for a moment. If she got down, she would be at risk of whatever- or whoever- else was down there. But if she stayed up here and passed out, she would be an easy target.

She unsheathed her sword and began to climb down. Her hands were scraped up from the bark and her body ached from the effort. Approximately two hours had passed since the Re-Rankings had started- they had been released at dawn exactly, and the games would last until dusk on the third day.

When Vega was nearly all the way down, her hand slipped again. She nearly slipped, falling to her death. She swung her body slightly, trying to get a better grip on the branch she was on.

No use. She was going to fall. Frantically, her left hand searched for her sword as her right hand slipped more and more from the tree.

The hilt of her sword was cold as she took it in her left hand and stabbed it as hard as possible into the tree. Testing how firm it was, she moved her right hand onto the sword in a single swift motion.

For a moment she thought she had saved herself.

Then, a loud tearing sound interrupted her thoughts.

Her sword started to slide down the bark of the tree, slicing it open. She was still pretty high up, and although it wouldn't kill her, falling might break a bone or three.

The sword gained momentum as it slid further. Vega glanced over her shoulder, looking at the quick approaching ground.

She timed it the best she could.

One...

Two...

She jumped off on three, yanking her sword out of the tree, and bracing for the impact of the ground.