Aether

The next time Lumine woke up, she wasn't even sure she was awake. She couldn't see anything, despite "opening" her eyes. Just when she thought that she was awake, she saw him.

Aether? But she was with the Fatui, Dottore had kidnapped her-

She started breathing harder. The scene around her changed to a bright, sunny meadow surrounded by forest. She and Aether were sitting in the grass together, weaving flower crowns.

He spoke up. "Are you ok Lumine?" He said, glancing up to meet her eyes as he expertly folded the stems of the flowers together. She was frozen.

She wasn't safe, this wasn't real, this was a long time ago. She left them behind, a long time ago. She couldn't choke any words out, even though she tried. She just clasped her hands around her mouth as hard as she could, and tried not to cry. She felt warm arms wrap around her.

"What's wrong? Lumine, if I did something, tell me, please. Lumine? Are you.. ok? Lumine, you're scaring me, say somethi-"

And the arms around her dissolved. Now, she was flying, her wings were outstretched with Aether stumbling along aside her. The air was on fire, they dodged rubble as the elements attacked from all angles. She felt her wings get pummeled, and she knew Aether had met a similar pain. Something heavy hit her wing, and she was sent plummeting to the ground.

The scene changed back. This time, Aether was shaking her, tears in his eyes as the half-finished flower crown lay next to her. She hugged Aether tighter, letting herself have one last hug before returning to the hell that was Tevyat.

She snapped back to reality. She couldn't let a silly dream ruin anything, more than it already was. She stood up in her room, beside her bed. Dottore had been assigned to train her temporarily, of course. And she didn't know what was coming, exactly, but she knew it was big.

There was roughly knocking on her door.

"Come in." She called. Dottore was here.

He seemed especially amused to see her today. "We have been training for three days. And finally, finally, Our Lady has given me permission to go through with this." He approached her manically, pulling on his gloves. He took a needle out of his shirt pocket. Lumine, having been much stronger, automatically tried to fight him.

"Ah-ah, you wouldn't want your family hurt, would you?" And Lumine had to give in. Aether was all she had. If she didn't die in this stupid world, she'd die without him.

She felt blood fill her mouth as she bit her tongue.

The needle stabbed her arm.