Chapter 19 - Done Deals

From the foyer, behind the curtains, Sally watched Teddy's car disappear down the drive to the street then she went to the bar in the atrium and built a pair of drinks for she and her guest.

"Isn't Playford the name of the head of your board?" She leaned on the bar and watched him taste his drink.

"He is."

"And Teddy is his son."

"Yes."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Does it matter? He was hand-picked for that very reason."

"Why, because you hold him in such low esteem? We need to talk about this business you've pushed me into. I want to know exactly what's going on before I get too deep into selling Christmas trees."

"You don't have to. Let Ted do the front work. I told you, it won't cost you anything in the end."

"It's not the money, Harry. I want to know exactly what's going on here. This is my town and I have a vested interest in how my reputation evolves."

"Jesus, Sal, your reputation couldn't evolve much further." He laughed and put his glass to his lips.

The remark burned a small hole in her ego and she made an underlined mental note to remember Harry's opinion. "Be that as it may, I want to know now, or I'm done with it."

"NaturGro is about to go down the drain." Sally showed surprise but didn't speak. He went on to describe the report from the lab people and what the financial repercussions would be. Millions had been sunk into bio research, and in the end they had failed. Lab samples worked wonderfully, which was what spurred them on, but in the real environment the product was a dud. They couldn't understand why but there it was. The industry would eat them alive when they found out.

"So what is this business with Teddy all about then?"

Harry tasted his drink, got up and added a little more whiskey. "I had to make a presentation to the board and the shareholders right after I got the bad news. It would have been career suicide to tell them the truth at that point."

He wandered back to his seat and sank down with a sigh. "I needed a temporary scapegoat. I had personal funds that needed securing. I had to have something to keep them from probing the results of our research until I figured a way out. I had my aide find a town and a man that could be used for that purpose."

"A way for you to shuck your stock and get clear of the fallout."

"Yes." He shrugged unabashedly. "When I first came down here and opened the restaurant it was to prepare for an early retirement. NaturGro's success was going to be my official, high water send off."

"Why did you change your name then?"

"Insurance. In my business you never know when things can go south... and this one did. I pulled up roots and came straight here to begin my new—earlier than anticipated—retirement as Harry Wagner. Malcolm was history." He finished his drink again and set the glass aside. "The fact that Glen Springs was the town he picked was a million to one shot. Teddy was the perfect choice however. When it fails, and it will, his father will have some hard thinking to do before dropping the hammer on the management. He's the only reason Teddy works there."

Sal pushed off the bar and strolled thoughtfully to the window and stared out at the sprinkle of tiny flakes swirling down from a putty coloured sky.

"And you were right there," she said over her shoulder. "He can't sell squat. Even if your trees survive I doubt he could succeed." She chuckled to herself and sipped her drink. A pair of strong arms glided about her waist and pulled her back in an embrace that turned both parties warm.

"Why did you find it necessary to use me then? If you know he's going to fail why go through this exercise?"

"I told you, I needed time to get clear. While his failure is assured, it just couldn't happen too quickly. I knew if anyone could buy me that time and convince him of success it would be you, Sal."

She turned and faced him, slipping her arms about his neck and kissing the tip of his nose. "It wasn't that difficult. Some men fit my little finger like a ring."

"How about me?"

"You fit me just fine." He grinned and nuzzled her neck. Sal looked past him, her mind turning over a series of interesting possibilities.

!!!!!

Mickey spent the rest of the day practising getting around again with his cane. His hands were still a little sore, but he could at least see them, and it was a cause to cheer. He made sandwiches, poured drinks, did dishes and even did a load of necessary laundry. Life was good again.

Carly's reminder interrupted his pleasure and he made his way around, talking to each of his charges, explaining the deal he'd made and what it would mean to some of them; Agnes seemed to be affected the most. He could almost hear a vocal response to his news.

"Don't worry. Carly is a good person and she likes you all very much, and it's really only for the Christmas season. You'll be back right afterwards. A change might be fun. She has a store filled with exotic spices and the different scents... well, you'll see."

He called Mac at the nursery, told him of his progress and thanked him for his patience. Mac hung up.

"Right," he said to the room. "A shower is called for and a change of fresh clothes for tonight. His expectation was, of course, that he and Carly would be eating together. He halted at the bedroom door. What if she wasn't expecting it? He decided he'd better call and make a date. He'd take her out again, that would help things go better.

"White's Spices."

"Hi, Carly, it's me. I was wondering if I could treat you to a dinner out tonight?"

"Why?"

"Why? Because I'd like to- to repay you for what you've been doing for me lately and I can actually feed myself now."

"This isn't some ruse to get out of our cactus deal?"

"No! Jeez! Can't I just want to do something nice for you?"

"You just want company when you take another run at Dave."

"That's silly. Actually I've heard of a new restaurant that opened out the highway that's supposed to be the next in place to dine."

"I didn't think you were that pretentious."

"Jesus, Carly, it's a dinner invitation. Does everything with you have to be so blasted difficult?"

"No. What time?"

"I'll make a reservation for eight-thirty. It'll probably take twenty minutes to drive there."

"And I'm driving."

"Duh, I guess."

"Don't mouth wise, Schafer. I'll come and get you at quarter to."

The phone call ended and Mickey sat down, a lot of the earlier glee, diluted and flushed away by her confusing attitude. Why was he bothering?