Chapter 37 - Siren's Call

Malcolm turned up the radio and let the window down a bit as he raced down the highway away from Glen Springs. Maybe this was the right thing to do. Sally certainly could make a go of the business without him, and having Barclay around would just make things very awkward. Forty percent would be a nice little income, and enough so that he wouldn't have to worry about finding another position.

His shares that he'd cashed would more than cover any lifestyle he might imagine for himself. The anger and the worry slipped away as the big car sped over the winding highway. Maybe Mexico or what about the Caribbean, he wondered. Either could be an idyllic place to retire under the right circumstances.

He decided to head south and find a nice town with decent dining and accommodation and hole up for a while until he made up his mind about his destination. Wherever he chose it would have plenty of action and lots of willing women.

The song on the radio caught his attention, and he suddenly focused on the words. Was it an omen? Maybe he shouldn't have given in so easily. What if Sally never lets him contact her again? What if he doesn't get his forty percent, what could he do about it? The car raced south at over the limit speeds as he listened to the Eagles belt out, Hotel California.

!!!!!

Teddy totalled the last of his funds and felt less secure than he had on the highway. The place was perfect as far as protecting his anonymity. It was a small town of about forty thousand on the shore of a large inland lake that boasted a booming, all season activities, and a strong tourist fishing industry.

The part that wasn't so good was the rooming house he had taken out of necessity because of his dwindling resources. He would arrange for a post office box then contact Sally and tell her he was settled. He could always move later. The woman running the rooming house smiled at him as he came down the stairs to the front door.

"Your room satisfactory, Mr. Fulton?"

Teddy almost walked right by her until he realized she was using the name he'd registered under.

"Oh, uh yeah. Yes, it's fine. Thanks."

"Well anything you need you just ask" She smoothed her dress and clasped her fingers together, offering him a big smile.

"I will, and thanks again. Oh- can you tell me where the post office is?"

"It's right on the corner of Hess and Danby. A big yellow brick building."

"How do I find these streets?"

She turned red and wrapped her arms around her waist. "How silly of me. Go down to the corner, make a right and then over to the second light." She put a finger to her lip. "Let's see... oh yes, another right, and it's about- no it's exactly three blocks."

"Thanks, that's great." He paused as she took a step toward him.

"Uhmm, would you mind doing me a favour?"

Teddy felt his mental guard go up. He couldn't afford to get involved with anybody right now.

"I guess."

She moved closer. "I'm almost out of milk and I could use one of those big bags of two percent. I can give you the money."

He relaxed and smiled. "No problem, I've got money on me. Anywhere special?"

"There's a small convenience store down at the corner. Don't make a special trip. Whenever you get back will be fine." She placed a hand on his arm. "Thank you, it's a big help." Teddy thought he could feel her heat right through his jacket and he nodded and hurried out the door and down to his car.