Chapter 31 - Sometimes You Win, and . . .

The crowds at Eden's Accessories created a huge parking problem, and Mac was reaching the end of his tether. Kids ran wild through the store, looking at all the displays and the decorations Katherine had created. Parents barged around the lot trying to get the best tree, and Mickey, bruised and battered from helping to load cars,and cut crooked trunks with an old band saw, was losing track of sales.

It was an overwhelming success, beyond anyone's expectations, and Katherine and her flying squad of volunteer wives barely managed to keep order.

"We're gonna need more trees," Mickey panted as he sought sanctuary behind the cash register with Mac.

"What's happening?" Mac sat stunned on his high stool, a fistful of bills that wouldn't fit in the cash drawer.

"I think it's called a marketing success, Mac. Katherine's success."

"Jesus, I couldn't do this every day."

"You won't have to. I'm gonna call for another delivery of trees. I think we can move another five hundred easily before Christmas."

"Five-?" Mac shook his head. "There's no time!"

"Don't worry, they'll sell. Trust me."

A long, agonizing groan.

Carly led a couple to the cash with armloads of mistletoe, wreaths, Christmas ornaments and a tree. She beamed at her contribution and missed the look of desperation on Mac's face as she tallied the sale and rang it up.

Mickey returned from using the phone and joined her at the cash.

"I just ordered another five hundred trees. They'll be here tomorrow night. We should put up a notice or make an announcement or something; this crowd is getting a tad rabid."

Katherine will take care of that. I'll let her know." She grabbed Mickey's arm. "This is so great. Think we could sneak away for a coffee?"

"Absolutely." He told Mac they were taking off for half an hour and received a wooden nod. Mickey hesitated. "I think you'd better get Katherine up here, he doesn't look all that well."

An hour later the center was closed and all the volunteer ladies, Carly and Mickey, were huddled around Katherine outside the hospital room where Mac reclined, receiving concentrated attention from the medical staff.

"They said he had a heart attack." Katherine sobbed.

"But he's gonna be fine, Katherine. They'll take good care of him." Mickey held the woman with an arm about her shoulder and scanned the area for his nurse nemesis.

"Why? He's never been sick a day?"

"I think it was the success of the garden center, Katherine." Carly said. "Mac just didn't expect all your efforts to pay off like they have."

"What have I done?" She sobbed.

"You've guaranteed a comfortable, early retirement for you and Mac." Mickey stated. "With the take from today and what is still possible before Christmas, you two will be able to enjoy a deserved, relaxing stretch together."

"It has to be together, Mickey." Her eyes watered and her face crumpled.

"It will. It will. Don't worry Mac's a stro- here comes the doctor now."

They all surged toward the door as the doctor emerged.

"Mrs. MacDonald?"

Katherine edged forward.

"Your husband is stable and resting now. We've got him on oxygen and blood medications. It was a minor attack but because of his age it probably hit him a little harder. His blood is up a bit but don't worry, he'll be fine, and afterwards he'll need a lot of rest and a regimented program of therapy and diet."