Chapter 5 - Tale of Two Attempts

He wandered inside and saw that there were several people rooting through shelves of soil, seeds and plant food. One man, who looked like it might be Mac, was holding up a collapsible shovel and expounding on its virtues to a woman who might have used it for support rather than to dig with. He ambled closer.

"Mrs. Wiggins, I guarantee this little baby will dig your Hummer out of any snow bank you plough into. Just push this," he pushed something on the handle and the blade snapped down and locked. "Give the handle a twist, and you could lift an elephant."

Teddy gave the woman another look and feared for her safety should she even consider going out in the winter. A Hummer!

"I think I'll go home and mull it over. Winter's a few weeks away yet."

"You do that, Mrs. Wiggins. I'll just set it aside for when you make up your mind." The man watched as the elderly woman hobbled out of the store. "Spunky old broad," he said, turning to Teddy. "What can I get you, friend?"

"Teddy Playford, sales rep for NaturGro Corporation." He paused as their voices were drowned out by the roar of the Hummer's engine grinding out of the lot.

Holding out a hand, he pulled it back quickly as the shovel came to port arms.

"That the company that wants to peddle chemical plant products?"

"Genetically produced, disease free and easy to maintain. Buy 'em. Plant 'em and forget 'em." Teddy clapped his hands together. "I can see you have a pretty good business here... Mac, is it? With NaturGro products you don't have any wasted inventory, no folks coming back with complaints and no need to stock all those seed products that never leave the shelf."

"Why do you suppose I would want a business where I sold everything once and never saw my customers again?"

"Not the case." Teddy held up his hands and began his practised spiel.

Twenty minutes later he was back in his car, the proud new owner of a potted poinsettia plant and a collapsible shovel; not one item of sale for his company.

!!!!!

Teddy wasn't keen on going back to the motel room with its ravine view; the initial setback needed to be analysed first so he cruised the main street, stopping once again by the park.

Obviously he needed to convince customers that it was the maintenance that provided their profits, not the initial purchase. Across the street he noticed the grand opening sign in the window of the store named White's Spices and he had a Teddy Playford moment. Grabbing the plant, he locked his car and, running a hand through his hair, he marched across to the store.

The Scarborough Fair chime made him pause and smile, thinking he'd made the right decision. The woman behind the counter looked up and offered a welcoming smile.

"Good afternoon and congratulations and good luck with your new enterprise." He proffered the plant with a flourish and then handed her his card.

"Thank you. It's lovely."

"Teddy Playford, NaturGro Corporation representative for Glen Springs."

"Never heard of them." Carly found a space for the gift and busied herself with arranging other items around it.

"Aahh, and that's why I'm here, Miss...?"

"White. White's Spices?"

"Right," he chuckled amiably. "Miss White. I can see from your magnificent display of product that you are a person who can spot quality. NaturGro is the manufacturer of the very best in that area."