Chapter 28 - The Things We Learn

Dressed in a pair of snug jeans, knee-high suede boots, a light cardigan over a white blouse and her fur-trimmed leather jacket, Sal pulled on the poor boy cap, tossed the scarf about her neck and headed down to her car. The Lexus floated out of the driveway like riding on a cloud and Sally turned on her ten speaker sound system, slipping in a CD of show tunes.

She was going to take a run out to Eden's Accessories and see what the competition was up to, if anything. Mickey saw the big car roll onto the parking lot, and he nudged Mac on the arm.

"A visit from Glen Spring's notorious madam."

"Don't be rude, Schafer, Sally Hundwinter comes from a very old family that helped build this town."

"I know, but now..."

"Now nothin', young man. Sally does more for Glen Springs than you could ever imagine."

"For the men in town anyway." Mickey scoffed.

"Don't condemn what you haven't experienced." Mac walked over to the entrance and watched Sally climb out of her car and stand hip shot while she took in Katherine's handiwork.

Mickey just gaped after him. Mac? Sally?

"Mornin', Sal." Mac called as she stepped through into the store.

"Hello, Mac. Long time." She held his arm while she planted a kiss on his cheek. "What have you done in here, this is quite spectacular?"

"Katherine wanted to upgrade the place for the season. Sorta help folks get into the spirit."

"Well tell her for me she certainly did a wonderful job. How is she anyway, we haven't had lunch together for ages?"

"She's good, Sal. How about yourself?"

"You know me, Mac, one day at a time." Her laugh attracted Mickey who was watching the couple, and he shuffled over for a better look at the infamous resident.

"And this is your assistant," she asked, turning a spotlight smile on Mickey. "Mac sold me a house full of plants that must be older than you."

"Mickey Schafer, Miss Sally Hundwinter." Mac said.

"Just Sally, Mac." She stepped forward and confidently shook Mickey's hand, letting her fingers linger while she studied his face.

"Mickey Schafer. You're the cactus man."

He stared in astonishment. "How...?"

"I know just about everything in this town worth knowing, Mickey."

She moved to his side and took his arm. "I have a small, jumping cholla in my atrium at home but it doesn't seem to want to bloom for me."

He stared at her, feeling the warmth of her body against his side. "Really? You like cactus?"

"I liked this one when I first got it but it doesn't seem happy."

Mickey grinned a mile wide. Someone who actually thought of their cacti as a living thing capable of emotion; this was a revelation.

"Is the climate dry? Do you have good lighting for it? Are the flowers lavender? Does it have fruit at all?"

"My goodness," she squeezed his arm. "Slow down, Mickey, I just bought it and put it where I thought I'd like to see it. I have no idea what it's supposed to do."

"But you said you thought it was unhappy. People who don't like plants don't think of them that way."

She stopped and faced him. "Happiness in all its forms is something I'm quite expert in, Mickey. All living things are capable of expressing it in one way or another." Her eyes held his, and he felt them drawing him in. "Maybe you could come out to the house and advise me on what I could do better." Her grin left him feeling hot under the arms and down his back.