9. Do You Like Your Job?

Zayn's P.O.V. :

   "Zayn! Let me go! I gotta go home! Seriously, Dad's gonna flip!"

   "No! He's the one who drove you away in the first place! Stay the night, please!" I begged, wrapping my arms around her leg. Max trudges towards the door, pulling me along with her. She shakes her leg in attempt to make me let go. I tighten my grip around her long legs, hoping she agrees to stay. Max's long arms reach down to me, trying to pry my hands off. Sadly, she does, starting towards the door again. I sprint to it first, stopping her from leaving. Max tries squirming past me, but I move my body to the side.

   "Mate, get out of the way. Now." Max pushes past me, almost reaching the door knob. My brain reacts quickly, sending mixed messages to my body. It wants me to make her stay, but let her go. Without listening to my brain, my hand wraps around her wrist, guiding her towards the living room-kitchen combo. Max huffs. "Why do you want me to stay so badly?"

   "Because, it gets super lonely here. And I don't like being alone," I say, craning my neck to look at her. I catch her gaze, trying to make my eyes look bigger and more shiny. Max rolls her eyes. My bottom lip pokes out. Max sighs, turning her attention away from me, then back. My bottom lip quivers, finally making Max crack. She sighs, taking a seat on one of the couches.

   "Fine, you win."

   I smile, leaning back on the couch. Propping my feet on her lap, I pick at the end of my denim button up. Max plays with the laces on my black Supras, tying and untying them just 'coz she can. A silence washes over us. Very, very, VERY slowly, I begin to drift off to a world were there are girls with long legs and talking cheeseburgers. . .

* * *

   "Sorry, I can't. My sister's friend's mother's grandpa's brother's grandon's uncle's fish died. It was very tragic."

   I spun on my heel, quickly speeding away from the tall brunette. As soon as I turned the corner, I tore through the empty hallway, hoping not to get caught. I don't know why ladies are asking me out more than ever. Well, I am pretty handsome if I do say so myself. Psh, who am I fooling? I am the hottest piece of meat you'll find here. And probably in this square world. Wait, the world is round.

   I opened the door to the music room, not bothering to knock since I'm probably the only one in here. Maxxon wasn't in school today. And in all honesty, it kind of upset me. But on the bright side, her friend Louis and I got to know each other. He's a pretty cool cat, if you ask me. According to Louis, Max had sent him a message saying she was very sick and couldn't come to school. Yeah, okay. . . Sick my ass. 

   I sat down at the piano, sliding my finger tips over the smooth ivory keys. I cracked my knuckles and neck, relaxing into the small bench. I slowly began moving my fingers over the keys, forming a sweet tune I had been working on for a week now. I practiced it before Max showed up to write the song. And it was coming along great. 

   After playing the introductory tune multiple times, I decided to finally add on those lyrics I had managed to come up with during my free time. I cleared my throat, wondering if these lyrics even made sense with the tune of the song. Having a mental debate with myself over a simple yes or no question seemed to solve the problem.

   "Lately I've been thinking,

Thinking about what we had.

I know it's hard,

It was all that we knew, yeah."

   "Have you been drinking to take all the pain away?