20. Life Without Zayn

Part Three

Life is like riding a bicycle;

To keep your balance,

You must keep moving. 

-Albert Einstein

* * *

Maxxon Chase's P.O.V. : One Year Later

   "Alright, kiddos. Time to clean up, your parents will be by soon!" I called, starting to put the painting supplies away. The children, who were scattered around the art room, all headed towards their assigned seats, putting their painting supplies in their desks. I watched as the kids, who ranged from six to twelve, started putting their sweaters on. 

   "Miss Max, why can't we stay longer?" One of the six year-old kids asked, tugging on the pant of my jeans. I crouched down to his level, helping zipper up her Gymboree sweater. He stared at me with wide eyes, sparkling with fresh tears. 

   "Awe, Ricky, don't cry. You're coming back next week, right?" I asked, bringing a hand up to wipe the stray tear away. He nodded, opening his arms for me. I picked him up, letting him wrap his legs around my waist and place his head on my shoulder. "S'okay, buddy. I just have to go to my job. That's all."

   "But this isn't you job?" He asked, his green eyes sparkling with tears. Oh shit.

   "Of course this is my job. I mean my real job. I do get paid for watching you guys for four hours, but I have another job, too," I smiled, setting him down on the couch. He smiled, jumping up and heading to the line to line up with the rest of his art buddies. A knock at the door caught my attention. I rushed over, opening it. I was greeted by sparkling green eyes like Ricky's. "Ricky, kid, you're brother is here for you!" I called.

   "Hey, Max," Harry smiled, handing me a red rose. I rolled my eyes, placing it in the vase filled with other red roses Harry had given me. I allowed him to come in as he waited for Ricky to grab his shoes. I waved goodbye to other art students as their parents came to pick them up. "How was class today?"

   "Same old, same old.  How's Rose?" I asked, referring to his girlfriend. 

   "She's in school right now."

   "Why aren't you in school?"

   "My classes don't start 'til four thirty, remember?"

   "Right," I smiled, nodding my head. I watched as Ricky rushed over to Harry, raising his hand for him to take. Harry take it, walking side by side with his younger brother. I waved to both of them as they left the room. "See you next week!"

   "You too!" Two different voices called.