Chapter Nine

As the warmth of sunlight filters through the windows of the large cabin, I turn onto my side, facing the door. My nose scrunches up as I bring my hands up to rub my eyes. I open my eyes, then scream loudly.

A face was right in front of me, the whole time. I don't even know who the person is, they are just poking my shoulder with clothes in their hand. I stop screaming and she just looks calmly at me.

"Kiera's the name," she stated kindly holding her hand out. I cautiously shook it looking at it warily.

Once I shook it, she continued, "good, now unless you want to be late for training for today, you better get out of bed. Here," she handed me the right boots, a pair of white pants, a blue shirt and a brown jacket, "this is your uniform you are to where when training."

I start to stand from the cot and she walks to the door. I call out to her before she goes, "Thanks Kiera!" Her charcoal eyes flicker to my own as she nods, making her way out of the door.

No one was in the cabin, so I striped down to my undergarments. I pull on the light blue shirt and the white pants, fastening them. I put on the tight boots and clipped all of the leather cables attached. Finally I slip into the trainee jacket and the other piece of brown fabric around my waist.

Without looking in the mirror, I put my shoulder length hair into a messy ponytail, walking out the door.

The large group of cadets are heading towards the ODM gear training course, so I don't have time to grab breakfast.

"It's aptitude test time so listen up!" Commander says loudly with his hands behind his back, "There is no place for you here if you cannot perform. Fail and be sent to the fields!"

There are five ODM training machines. Groups stand in front of each, waiting for their turn.

"Zëll!" Commander Shardis yells, "Your up!" I stand straight as I walk to the equipment.

The training for ODM gear was basic, yet difficult at the same time. As two wires strap to your waist, your supposed to dangle their for five minuets completely steady. The contraption was made of three, large poles with a metal bar and wires attached to it.

I stand in the center of the structure, everyone's eyes on me, as they hook me to the metal wires.

'Okay,' I thought to myself, 'Never tried this, let's see how this goes.'

The crank starts to lift as I balance my weight accordingly. As I am lifted, I don't move. I stay stock still, with a balanced stance as people looked shocked. Only the wind blew me.

Commander nods his head approvingly and yells, "Let her down!" I am gently set down and I keep on the equipment, but detach the wires.

"She's almost as good as Mikasa!" One girl exclaims in a whisper, pointing at me. I pretend not to hear the comment, hoping people don't ask how I did it. I don't even really know, it just felt natural.

"Straighten yourself Jaëgar! What is your major malfunction!" Shardis screams. I turn around, picking through the crowd, wondering who he was yelling at. I stop I front of a cadet, hanging upside down on the ODM gear.

'Oh,' I thought, grimacing, 'they better have it better by tomorrow.'

Then I remembered, Jaëgar. That's Erens last name. I look down in shock.
That's Eren, hanging upside down, his teal eyes wide in shock.

"Oh god, Eren," I whisper in shock, "you got this.''

He gets dropped to the floor and is unharnessed. Shardis yells at him, "You should be lucky we are doing these tests tomorrow! By then, have your act straightened out!"