Ch. 2: The Silent Hero

-----Shinobu's POV-----

Despite being on patrol, I put one of my wireless earbuds in and turned my phone to the radio app. Zashi-nii-san's radio show would be starting soon, and even if he irritated me earlier, I never missed his radio show since the day he started shortly after I graduated high school. It made me so happy that it was getting more popular.

"Hello, Listeners! Thanks again for tuning into Hands Up Radio with me, pro hero PresentMic! I hope all of you listeners are having a fantastic Friday night! We're going to get things rolling tonight with a special song that I picked out for my number 1 listener! This one's for you, Nobu!" Nii-san's voice yelled out into my earpiece. My heart lifted a bit, and at the same time, I began to feel a bit guilty for snapping at him earlier. He was just trying to help. Suddenly, the song Silence by Marshmello ft. Khalid. It made me smile a bit.

Unfortunately, a movement caught my eye in an alleyway near the roof where I was crouching. Sighing to myself, I turned my phone to record the radio show, so I could pause it and finish listening to it after I was done checking out what was going on. As I approached the alleyway, I heard a muffled scream. Keeping my movements silent, I moved towards the alleyway to see a man pushing a woman against the wall with a finger that was morphed into a knife on her throat as he got ready to use another one of his knife fingers on his other hand to most likely cut her clothes off. I noticed another presence but decided to focus on the immediate threat.

Pulling my goggles down over my eyes, I cancelled the man's sense of touch and hearing as I came up behind him and pulled my kusarigama out of my obi and quickly moved the chain around his neck and pulled back fast and firm, successfully getting him away from the woman without a single scratch on her.

"You're safe, ma'am. Please leave. I will take care of this creep," I said calmly with a small but reassuring smile, my voice quiet but calming causing the woman who was still shaking to nod and run off. I pulled the chain I had around the villain's neck a little bit tighter until he passed out from lack of oxygen before releasing my grip on the chain and pulling out some rope that I had in one of my utility pouches and calling the cops as I tied the villain up tightly.

"You can come out now. Or just report to Nii-san that I'm fine. Your choice," I stated calmly and quietly to the underground hero I had noticed the presence of earlier. Said hero landed on the ground beside me and walked up to me as I turned to him, moving my goggles to the top of my head.

"How long did you know I was here?" he asked, curiosity intruding on his usually bored sounding voice.

"Since I noticed the perpetrator," I responded shortly, turning Nii-san's radio show back on, as Aizawa-san hummed in response.

"Your skill with that kusarigama is impressive," Aizawa-san commented, his bored tone back. I nodded in thanks, not looking at him.

"Now you can report that to Nii-san, and I can get back to my patrol. I've proven myself to be more than capable of handling myself," I stated while signing as I looked back at him. Being around someone for any length of time always made me nervous and led to me signing while talking.

"Believe it or not, I'm not here at Hizashi's request, Muffle," Aizawa-san responded while looking at me with a serious expression causing me to give him a quizzical look, "He did ask me to come watch after you; however, he also mentioned having you come teach at U.A. and I was curious about the rationality of that suggestion. Even amongst underground heroes, not much is known about you, so I wanted to see you in action. U.A. might just be the right fit for you." That threw me for a loop.

"Now, listeners, we are gonna take things up a notch for all you party animals tonight! Makes me wanna say YEAHHHHH!!!!" I could hear nii-san yelling in my ear, temporarily distracting me and causing me to giggle.