Ch. 11: First Dates

-----Shinobu's POV-----

It was the day of mine and Shouta's first date to get coffee after work. I was super nervous, but was doing my best to play it off and act normal so that no one suspected everything. Also, I really didn't want Shouta to know just how nervous I was, so I decided to avoid dressing up directly, deciding instead to just wear my hero costume to work (minus my scythe) and bring a pair of high waisted light gray skinny jeans and a long sleeved black crop top that had a vneck that plunged just enough to show a bit of skin but didn't show cleavage much. Since the pants were high waisted, my stomach wouldn't show with the crop top. I planned to just wear my typical black combat boots with the outfit.

Looking at the sparse makeup I did actually own at Nightshade's insistence, I decided to bypass most of it, sticking to my typical jet black eyeliner and black mascara. The only thing different I did was add a very sheer peach lip tint so I didn't look quite like a walking corpse. My hair I left in its typical long and down style, not willing to look at myself in the mirror in fear that I would chicken out of this whole thing.

Ever since Shouta and I shared our first kiss in the training facility a couple of days ago, I found myself very nervous, almost giddy when thinking of the tired looking hero. He had texted after I had got home that night to tell me that he was cancelling my patrols for the weekend, so that I could catch up on my sleep. Despite my insistence that I was fine and that it was unnecessary, Shouta had refused to budge, going as far as to tell Zashi-nii to make sure I was resting this weekend. I was a bit indignant about that last part, not enjoying being treated like a child, but not really wanting to deal with confrontation, I'd let it go this time.

As soon as I made it to the school, I headed straight to the teacher's lounge feeling more relaxed and rested than I had since my first day at UA over a month ago. It was already 7:30am, so the teacher's lounge was already bustling with activity like teachers making last minute copies or having coffee while doing some grading or reviewing their lesson plans. When I came in, most teachers were too busy focusing on their own tasks to notice me. At least, they were until Midnight took one look at me and squealed.

"Oh my goshhhh!!!! Shinobu-chan, is that your hero costume?!?!" she squealed in excitement, to which I just nodded with my typical blank expression before getting a bit worried. Is there something wrong with my hero costume? Are TAs not allowed to wear ours to work?? Oh no! A firm hand was placed on my shoulder, knocking me out of my panic as a bored tone broke through my internal screaming.

"Midnight, knock it off. Shinobu's in her hero costume, as is everyone else in this room. Chill out," Shouta's bored voice scolded before taking his hand off of my shoulder as I nodded in greeting and thanks to him, trying to act like everything was normal and fighting a massive blush from spreading across my face when he muttered a tired "morning" to me. To most it would seem rude, but after a month of being practically joined at the hip since we both worked the same two full time jobs together, I'd long since realized, Shouta just really wasn't a morning person, since he didn't get nearly enough sleep.

"But I'm just so surprised! Her costume is so much more revealing than I imagined!" Midnight exclaimed before getting a sadistic glint in her eye that made me shiver uncomfortably, "It brings out my sadistic side!"

She went to reach for me, and in an intense need to not be involved in whatever the hell the R-rated heroine was doing, I caught her wrist, ducking under her arm before releasing her arm as I cancelled her sight and slipped past her in seconds before returning sight to her. If one wasn't paying super close attention, they would have just assumed they blinked and that I had moved ridiculously fast. I mean, thanks to my required combat training I was enduring, I was much quicker than before, but not quite that fast.